What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favorite nep

Hello all!

I just thought about making a thread about your favorite nepenthes plant. It doesn't have to be one that you grow, just one that you find very appealing.
smile.gif

My personal favorite has to be N sanguinea (N ampullaria and N bicalcarata are close behind it though
tounge.gif
)! I don't know why, but it just seems to be the most elegant Nep. It doesn't have menacing looking spines, elaborate pitcher coloration, or mammoth sized pitchers, and yet it is one of the most beautiful plants in the genus. It think that its simple form is what most captivates me; a suprisingly simply pitcher shape, that makes it very distinguishable at the same time.

Oh yeah.... It's also one of my fastest growing Neps!
wow.gif
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Jœl

I will have to say that the clawed peristome Nepenthes are my favorites (N.macrophylla,Villosa,Edwardsiana,Hamata.) and out of the group my favorite will have to be awarded to N.edwardsiana. Out of the highland variety's will be awarded to nonetheless N.rajah. Lowlanders the plant awarded will be N.Bicalcarata. And most unusual Nepenthes I adore goes to: N. Jaquelineae.

I can't limit my favorites to just one!
N. aristolochides
N. bicalcarata
N. hamata
N. lowii
N. truncata

then there's these:
N. klossii*
N. edwardsiana*
N. macrophylla*
*=if you can sell me one (not wild collected) I'll be your best friend
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

I personally find my Judith Finn to be the sexiest, especially the deep burgundy coloration on the peristome.

Sanguinea is a close second.

My favorites as in looking at pictures would have to be:
N. maxima
N. fusca
N. x mixta
N. veitchii

That is about it for now...I am sure there are many, many, many, many, more just do not have a clue what they look like. I like the multi-colored/big pitchers. Although I think the N. ventricosa is a really nice nep too.
wink.gif
Come down to it I love them all... But those would be my perfered neps.

travis

Hmmm... Probably N. campanulata... Luckily its becoming a bit less rare in cultivation, but I like it for similar reasons that Joel likes sanguinea... So simple... Light green pitchers, very compact plant, delicate pitcher shape... Not too gawdy... Its not difficult to grow... Its just so pretty! I've always wanted one, since the first time I looked through Malaysian Tropical's catalogue... I like it so much. Heehee...

So many favorites Nepenthes, but I would have to say N. Ampullaria or N. Truncata.

Well, N. tentaculata is one of my favorites. And I do think it's under apreciated. I mean, a lot of forms have really dark (almost black) pitcher coloration, with uniquely shaped, and nicely colored peristomes. Like this one:

God d**n it! How do you get to the Petflytrap User Pages again?

I also like N. x dyeriana, N. alata red, and N. rafflesiana Sarawak giant with its dark browns, light greens, and spectacular size
smile.gif

hi all from France,

I think Nepenthes veitchii is really beautyfull.
And...what about the easiest nepenthes to grow?
For me, its probably Nepenthes gracilis.

Lionel

My vote for easiest has to be 'hugh the mungous' my N. bical which just several months after an accidental decapitation has produced new leaves twice the size than before, now about 18" each making a 36" wide plant! This poor plant had been through he ell before I got it and then the terrarium lid falling on it and he still grows like a runaway freight train! It does get a bi-weekly urea free orchid food & crickets though...
Of course theN. x Ventrata is also like a rocketship with a full new leaf and pitcher every 1 - 2 weeks.

The slowest nep (in my collection so far) is N. lowii. It has made 3 leaves since I got it in June and the tendrils simply bury themselves in sphagnum and refuse to form (despite all other highland neps producing great pitchers).

Naughty lowii!
mad.gif

biggrin.gif

N. bicalcarata
N. hamata
biggrin.gif

Lowii is a toughy! I have had mine since July 4th and it's made only 2 new leaves. It is a large plant (3 inches across) and the newest leave is nearly open and should make a pitcher for me, finally! Poor thing hasn't had a thing to eat since july, must be hungry!
smile.gif

Easy question Joel, there's two I have always loved:

- clipeata is just one sexy Nep. All class.

- dubia is a bit wierd, and no one has it (including me
sad.gif
).

Cheers, Troy.

I gotta say
N. aristolochioides (looks like birdhouses&#33
wink.gif

N. Ventricosa (shapely)
N. Mirabilis (just looks like a happy plant
biggrin.gif
)
Nx Judith Finn (I can't kill it, and lots of pitchers
wink.gif
)

i would have to say
N. Thorellii x Witteii
N. Gracilis
N. Judith Finn
N. Coccinea
just because i have done alot of hard work w/ this plants to see how they will Grow.

I like the unusual looking ones. I have to agree with Nep G. that the (N.macrophylla,Villosa,Edwardsiana,Hamata) are pretty darn cool. Next on my list would be Aristolochioides and Lowii.
smile.gif

Truncata deserves honorable mention
wink.gif

What! No one mentions burbidgea
confused.gif
 Well I will!!
tounge.gif

cheers

bill

I have not been ever to find one, yet, but for me it's the highland veitchii with the striped peristome and rosy pitcher color(like the one on Malesiana's site).

Regards,

Joe

Something like this ?

Gent_nep_veitchii1.jpg

Photo taken in Gent (2nd European CP meeting)

Back