What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New way to encourage basal shoots.

I recently read a book about greenhouses. In the book there was a section on how to control the growth of plants in a greenhouse, specifically vines. It said you could slow the growth of a plant at a certain point just by shaking or squezing that part for 30 seconds everyday. It said you could also encourage a plant to put out side shoots by shaking the main growth point. I thought this would be a great way to force my vinier neps to slowdown and produce some basal shoots. It also explains why many of the experts don't like to touch their plants very often.
smile.gif
I hope you all enjoyed this little bit of info and feel free to post any questions or praises. J/K
wink.gif
tounge.gif

Mike
smile.gif

Mike,

If you let the vine go down instead of uo, ie the growing point gos below the soil level, that encourages basal rosettes to form also.

Regards,

Joe

What5 do you mean by shaking he growing point in order t produce basal shoots.
confused.gif

Shaking?  How hard?  Would it be
a) Hey...are you awake?
b) Hey...time to wake up.
c) Come one!  Wake up!
or
d) WAKE THE @#$! UP SLEEPYHEAD!!!  

Lol...  sorry...I just can't get the immage out of my mind:

**shakes plant vigorously** come on, stupid plant!  Make a basal shoot already!

LOL LOL LOL

Joe,

Thanks, I never knew that.
smile.gif

Schloaty,

More like (B) Hey...time to wake up. Just shake the growth tip back and fourth, carefully.

Veeerrrrry interesting.... ! hmmmmm.

Both my raff and my truncata voluntarily produced basal shoots.

I haven't ever shaken or pinched a vine but there are sure a few people around here in my office I'd like to pinch and give a good shakin'...
biggrin.gif

Suzanne

Back