What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Travel rep.: g. murud (jean de witte)

Hi,

maybe not all of you have seen the announcement of Jean De Witte at the ICPS listserv. He has added a small travel report of his last visit on G. Murud to his homepage:

http://www.jeandewitte.de/murud2002/murud_2002.html

Most impressive to me is the picture of N. spec. B:

n.%20spec%20B.jpg

and of course this "red bulbous Nepenthes":

red%20bulbous%20nepenthes.jpg

(The pictures iaren't stolen, they are links to Jean's site.)

Cheers Joachim

Thanks for the link!
smile.gif

That species B is really wild. Looks like what Malesiana is calling species #2.

The red one looks alot like my lower pitchers of what I have labelled N. murudensis.
Tony

B/#2 is an amazing looking plant, to me it looks like a cross of N. fusca x veitchii. However N. fusca isn't mentioned in the article on G. murud and if doesn't grow there then that option is out...

I believe 'sp. b' is considered a stabilized population of the natural hybrid of fusca x veitchii. As I recall, there was some scientific debate about the lack of both parent species near the sites where 'b' can be found. It was even suggested that 'b' took over the ecological niche, crowding out fusca and veitchii, making them extinct in these areas.
Also, it is believed that species 'b' might actually be Danser's N. mollis, but it cannot be proven. Is this why 'species b' has never been described and properly named? It's been known for a long time now. Anyone out there in Nepenthesland have the latest scoop on this?
Trent

Second all that Trent said, lol. That is the best pic I have ever seen of this plant, though.

Regards,

Joe

Has anyone ever made a fusca x veitchii cross for horticulture? I wonder how the plants would compare to sp. B?

The man made cross N. fusca x veitchii has been made. I have not seen pictures and suspect the plants are still fairly young yet.
Tony

Did some searching around and came up with the following:
Phill Mann has this on his website N. fusca x veitchii
Looks to be a fairly young plant.

Thanks for sharing that Joachim. Fascinating article...amazing pictures. I can't imagine being able to actually SEE all that. Takes a lot of work and dedication too.

N. spec B is something else.

There are just so many beautiful and fascinating things to see in the world and we only get to see but a little bit.

Suzanne

Thanks Tony!

Hmm, looks like the peristome isn't as tall and the lid is round as opposed to triangular... Perhaps a different form of veitchii would yield different results, or as you mention, an older/larger plant.

Hi all:

I have spoken to Geoff Mansell and he has kindly given me this picture so I can show it to you all:

fusxveithl.jpg

He also mentioned the fact that there is a lot of variation every time that the cross is made. Maybe there was a natural selection for a very stable clone out of the many produced when the fusca and veitchii cross was naturally made to create N. specB . Then again who knows?

Gus

Man, his growing conditions are flawless, no doubt about that. It is so nice, it looks painted almost, lol.
Anyway, shouldn't this "sp B" be considered a species instead of a hybrid, since it's stable(especially if it's the same plant Danser called N. mollis, in which case it would get that name)?
Thanks for the pic, Joachim. That is one beautiful pitcher!

Regards,

Joe

As I recall, Geoff and Andrea have 'sp. b' in their collection, and once had pictures of it on the Exotica site. It was referred to it as a long necked veitchii, and they even had a hybrid or two using it.
As for 'sp b ', I agree with Gus; its a natural hybrid that has selectively bred to what we see today. The original natural hybrid probably occurred many thousands of years ago.
Also, I believe it grows at higher altitudes than typical for fusca and veitchii.

Trent

wow!!! im drowning in drool over that spectabilis! tony, that does look like nep # 2, doens't it?
wow.gif
speaking of those new nep species, chin lee came to a bacps meeting a year ago. he sold a nepenthes spectabilis to me, hence the name spectabilis73. he also sold a nepenthes # 6 and 7 for 100 dollars each.
wow.gif
if you ask me, thats pretty darned cheap for a new unnamed species. the rich guy who bought it is the only owner of them in the USA.
wow.gif
i wish i had bought those plants...
tounge.gif

Follow up of Geoff Mansell from exoticaplants on N spec B

We did have the plant pictured several years ago and it was
called N.veitchii-Mt. Pagan. The plant was quite difficult to grow and it
eventually died as we did not have the conditions we have now. We did do a
hybrid with N.xRokko with this plant and still have several clones which do
look like it. I think you will find that the plant is named by Ch'ien Lee
and is call N.hurellii now.

This gets better by the minute. Thanks a lot Geoff. I know you are a very busy nepenthes grower, but you are doing a wonderful job and as for me, I am very happy and excited when i get this type of info from you. Because this way, we all learn something new.

Gus

Back