What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easy nepenthes

I'd like to try my hand at nepenthes. Can someone please lead me to an easy to grow variety?
Thanks
biggrin.gif

N.Ventricosa

OR if you have a nice humid and hot terrarium N.Gracilis.

N.Khasiana
N.Alata
N.Rafflesiana-hot+humid
N.Miribilis- hot+humid
N.Ampullaria-hot+humid

there are a few more but these are by far the easiest.

thanks a million for the help, but what conditions for the top 3?

Depends on your conditions but I would say for ultimate easy...

The most easy Nepenthes out there imo
N. xVentrata (I think its even easier than ventricosa or alata)

also very easy and very tolerant to changing environment after an initial adjustment period.
N. truncata
N. khasiana (sometimes hard to find compared to the other two)

Temps whatever you give em as long as they are warm during the day. Humidity 50-60 is fine if acclimated slowly. Bright light. Keep moist but not soggy wet. All 3 would do fine on an East or West windowsill (South too with some shading) provided the humidity is in the 50-60% range.

If your looking into terrarium culture then you can grow many more very easily also. As Nep G has mentioned.
Tony

ok,
where can I get some of these? When I visit Phil and Jeff maybe they have some?
confused.gif

oh,
and uh my room is about 72 degrees F. I guess the humidity is well, I dunno, but my VFT is thriving!
biggrin.gif

Well you can get them from PFT and Tony!
tounge.gif
yeah really Tony! Ventrata! right on your windowsill.
smile.gif

and in the southwest, is a north window ok? my VFT likes it.

I can't offer much advice on growing indoors on a windowsill in the Southwest. Maybe some of the growers from that area can comment on exposure, humidity range etc. Also need to keep in mind any humidity modifying equipment running in your house!.. fancy talk for humidifiers/dehumidifiers/AC during the summer/Heat during the winter etc etc. Usually less of an issue with a terrarium, although some things like lighting can become more of an issue.
Tony

well my plant window is a good 20 feet from the cieling vent. My VFT thrives, so something must be right.
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

No offense to PFT, but they're not there... Tony, do you have some?

and jaie told me of a few others (indirectly) it's in general discussions/important, not urgent by: RaW$VENUS.FLY.TRAP.BEGINNER I just need a place to get them...
confused.gif

Gracilis

Alata Lowland form

Reinwardtiana

Truncata

Hirsuta

Thorelli

Keep in mind that all of these require high humdity warm temps. Truncata can grow in a hous with 50% humdity but I am keeping mine in a plastic bag after a long cease in growth when the humdity dropped to 30% for about a week.

maxima lowland
merrilliana (will get very large but takes a looooong time, stays squat for the most part)
albo marginata (will vine eventually but doesn't get overly large diameter)
bellii (will vine but cutting back is not a problem, fairly small diameter)
distillatoria (very sensitive to cold and low humidity, very good terrarium plant.. not too wide and vines slowly)

Plus all the others that have been mentioned. There are also lots of hybrids to choose from.
Tony

Back