What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name that Nep!

Newbies have guessed enough! My shot now!
biggrin.gif

#1 Ampullaria "spotted"
#2 Ventricosa
#3 Gracilis
#4 Northiana
#5 Glabrata
#6 Bellii

My guesses
smile.gif

Well, if nep g can guess...
I'm thinking #4 might be albomarginata.

Well....... apparently some ppl haven't read my HINTS!
tounge.gif

So far, 3 of the plants have been identified correctly, but I won't say which ones!!
smile.gif

George-CP has one, eplants has one, and Nep g has one.

3 more to go!!

Jœl

ooo tough pics! Especially on such youngsters...

All Lowland you say.....

One looks like longifolia but Im not going to say which!

Tony

Baah... You think I listen to your blathering??? Just kiddin, hehe...

Well. My guesses are prolly wrong, but here they are...

Oh wait, you've just logged on to MSN... I shall ask you on there!

So what is the prize for the people who are right?
smile.gif

My Guesses:
1) Spotted Ampullaria
2) Thorelii
3) Hirsuta
4) Alata
5) Merrilliana
6) Macrovulgaris

How badly did I miss the bulleye?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mindmaze128 @ Oct. 07 2002,01:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hehehe

Title says it all, but there's an added bonus!
wow.gif

If you name a plant correctly, I'll trade you a cutting when the plant gets older!!
smile.gif

Rules:

1) You get one and ONLY ONE guess per plant!

2) Newbie ppl get the first chance to guess i.e. there has to be at least 5 guesses from newbies before the not-so-newbies can guess.

3) You can ask me to try to take a better picture of the pitcher in question if you want.

4) There is no limit to how many correct guesses you can make i.e. someone can get all 6 right, and hence 6 reservations of the 6 cuttings to be made.

Conditions:

1) I hold the right to determine when I want to make cuttings of the plants.

2) I can refuse to make a cutting for someone if I feel that s/he does not deserve it (this is at my discretion).

<span style='color:blue'>Hints:</span>

1) All of the pitchers are from Lowland Neps.

2) 2 of the plants are sort of rare in cultivation (AFAIK).

And before someone yells "I'll just guess from what he has on his grow list," please be aware that I've erased my growlist from both GW and PFT, so please, don't even bother to look.

Also, I know that it's close to impossible to identify a few of the plants with such small pitchers, but that's what makes this so interesting!!
smile.gif

EDIT: Actually greg, you can't guess since you probably know which the plants are (I think I've told you a million times by now about one of the plants!
wow.gif
). I promise I'll make it up to you.
wink.gif

Good Luck to everyone!!  Jœl

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>THE PICTURES!!!</span></span>

1)
Nep_a.JPG

2)
Nep_b.JPG

3)
Nep_c.JPG

4)
Nep_d.JPG

5)
Nep_e.JPG

6)
Nep_f.JPG
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
extra post so pics are on this page

Okay so some are still up for grabs. uh uh.
tounge.gif
Must ID.. uh

#2 Macrovulgaris
#6 Thorelii

I know these are wild in the dark, but it's all I got left

Could #4 be northiana? I remember seing a nepenthes like that, but I just can't remember what it was called. I'm probably wrong
confused.gif

HEHEHE  
wink.gif

To help out a little, the correctly identified neps are #1 (N ampullaria 'spotted' ), #4 (N northiana), and #6 (N bellii).

That leaves 2, 3 and 5 ripe for the picking!

Here are 2 more hints:
- 2 of the remaining plants are not found on any of the major islands of the Malesian region.
- the final plant in endemic to only one of the major islands in the Malesian region

I can try to take a better picture of the pitchers if someone thinks it will help...

EDIT: One last thing, everyone can guess on the last 3 since they're a tad bit hard!
wink.gif

Jœl

Soo....... do I get a prize
confused.gif

And, could # 5 be hirusta.

i come to a dead blank on the other 3. i'm not even going to guess. i wish i new what #2 was that looks like a cool plant. well at least i got one right. i'm happy with that
smile.gif
. so is that a D- for a grade.

#5 hirsuta opps i guessed

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you name a plant correctly, I'll trade you a cutting when the plant gets older!![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Jœl

One is a trick question!

N. veillardii is one of the 3 unguessed ones

T

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tony Paroubek @ Oct. 08 2002,3:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One is a trick question!

N. veillardii is one of the 3 unguessed ones

T[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
ok great! another guess.ummmm...I'd say veillardii is #2

did I get it right?
confused.gif
wink.gif

oh I know what #3 is!!! I think it is.....

Nepenthes mirabilis
biggrin.gif
!?

confused.gif

Back