Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Male/ female nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AH the problem is that most sterile cultures are started from seed... So the lab has no idea what sex they are until the first batch of plants reaches maturity.

There are cases where you can buy certain sex clones. Mostly you will see this for plants which have been in cultivation for a while like N. alata, N. ventricosa, N. maxima etc. Many of the Nepenthes species have not been in cultivation long enough yet to have mature plants out there for sex identification. I am sure over time you will see more of this information appearing on retail pricelists. Whenever I have a plant of unknown sex flower for the first time I make a note and update my growlist. Eventually I hope to have multiple clones of each sex for each species available at least on a limited basis.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that is understanable know.

yes i do agree w/ u on haveing 2 plants of each species that would make it more on your part that u wouldn't need the TC labs to get plants u could just grow your own from seed. then if you ever did have to get a plant in a rush. there is always the labs.

yes i do also have a couple of plants that are mature enought 2 know the sex of them.
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Say Tony,
    I've been wondering, if you have a plant which is mature and has flowered and you take a growing point cutting from that plant, how long will it take that cutting to mature and flower?
    I assume being taken from a mature plant it will grow and mature somewhat faster but is there an average time frame (say growing for 2 years undisturbed/uncut) that it takes a cutting to settle in and reach flowering stage? Must a cutting attain a certain size before they will flower?
    In my current lowland setup I have to prune each time the plants get to 24-30" tall and restart them so I will never get flowers this way. I was just curious if there's a certain minimum size I should build my next enclosure so I can get at least a few of my behemoths to flower! I'm thinking 6 ft long 6 foot high and 4 feet deep but would even that be large enough to get the easies of them to flower or would their enclosure need to be even bigger yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sword, i have 2 plants that have flowered and both of them have been at least 4 foot long before they put out a flower spike. one i bought with the spike on it and the other took pretty long to grow before it but one out.
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12