Thread: A lot of talk about mites in recent posts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Quote (christerb @ Dec. 09 2002,8:06)
    Hi whispersiren,

If you have mites on your plants, then your sundew will probably not catch them, as for instance spider mites/false spider mites are really tiny. Something that I have used (on orchids) to confirm a mite infestation is to moisten a cotton ball and “clean” a leaf with it. If there are small orange-red dots on the cotton then you probably have mites.

Regards,

Christer[/QUOTE]
    Really? I guess this does prove I have extraordenary tiney thing vision. I always consitterd those mites to be big, lol.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Quote (joseph @ Dec. 12 2002,03:49)
    seedling, sounds like spider mites, same ones I get on my citrus trees. I spray the entire plant down with a houseplant bug spray and they all go away. The type that live on the leaves such as yours are generally easy to kill with most poisons that list mites on the product. It's the mites in the roots that can be a real pain.

joe[/QUOTE]
    really now? I didn't know spider mites made webbing. Thats sort of neet to know. In the past, I've seen that webbing with various types of scails though.

Interesting note: True spider mites feed off of animal blood, but because many other free living spiecies of mites look similar, the name has become as generalized as the term mite. The use of "spider" in the name comes from the 8 legs and spider like look of all mites. So, how do you tell a true spider mite from a plant mite? Real (or the origenal group to carry this name) Spider mites are very small and black untill they feed, then they turn bright red and nearly double in size, ew!
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The use of spider mite is just an abbriviation of Red SPider Mite, and as the above poster said, they are common on citrus and yes, they make webs; I've seen colonies make webs over several square yards. These mites are medium size, and there are others that you wont easily see even with a strong magnifying glass.

So the spider mites generally spoken of are herbivorous. There are many other kinds, and some are living on you right now on your eyelashes [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]
    In greenhouses they use some kinds to eat other mites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say it might have a bit of fungus along with posible scale. Good luck. Try orthene on the scale as it is systemic and will be taken up by the plant.

Kim

5. Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12