What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi everyone!!
There've been a lot of posts about mites recently and so I was wondering if this is what the damage looks like??

This is the first plant that got it: (n. xiphiodes x n. mikei) Someone else told me that light exposure can cause this?

plant1.jpg

Then it spread to this one... (gymnamphora) So now I'm wondering if it is mites...

plant2.jpg

Both are planted with sundews and I haven't noticed any mites stuck to them. Both are pitchering or in the process of forming pitchers though the lowest leaves are on the verge of death. There are two other plants in the terrarium and they haven't got it (n. khasiana & n. ventricosa)

All advice much appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Peace!

Lia

growing conditions:
Day: 70-75 degrees
Night: 50-65 degrees
soil: mix of peat, spagnum, charcoal, bark
compost: gravel, bark,
humidity: 60-70 percent

try looking at it through a magnifying glass

Well, I can't say I've ever heard of a case of generalist micro mites, but Tim has so they may exist. However, your plants deafinetly have something that isn't just conditions! Looking at the pics, I'd say it looks far more Mite like then any of the others have, that brown speckaling is classic. HOWEVER! Their are a whole heap of plant Viruses that do the same thing! In addition to that, their are fungi agents that can grow inside a plant, although right now I would say mite or virus. Viruses tend to be slow spreding but they can be very bad. The woods outside my house became infected some how a few years ago with ... I can't recall the name. Anyways, it is slowly increasing it's infective radious and it doesn't kill the plant, just makes it grow funky (and orange around the edges in my case). What I am getting at here is that you should treat one plant for fungi, the other for mites. If one recovers that was your problem, if niether does, burn the plants. The only thing worst then a generalist virus is *shutter* cotton scail.

It looks possibly like mite damage. You might try spraying the plant with Orthene...follow directions. Then also pour orthene through the pot. Repeat in two weeks. Watch new growth after that and see if the problem subsides. Good luck

Kim

Hi whispersiren,

If you have mites on your plants, then your sundew will probably not catch them, as for instance spider mites/false spider mites are really tiny. Something that I have used (on orchids) to confirm a mite infestation is to moisten a cotton ball and “clean” a leaf with it. If there are small orange-red dots on the cotton then you probably have mites.

Regards,

Christer

Is "Orthene" a brand name or a additive to bug sprays?

I noticed miniature little webs on the tips of one of my Neps leafs. I have never hear of orthene and was wondering what products I could use.

Thanks,

seedling, sounds like spider mites, same ones I get on my citrus trees.  I spray the entire plant down with a houseplant bug spray and they all go away.  The type that live on the leaves such as yours are generally easy to kill with most poisons that list mites on the product.  It's the mites in the roots that can be a real pain.

joe

As far as the trade name, ask for an aracicide at the local nursery or hardware store.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (christerb @ Dec. 09 2002,8:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi whispersiren,

If you have mites on your plants, then your sundew will probably not catch them, as for instance spider mites/false spider mites are really tiny. Something that I have used (on orchids) to confirm a mite infestation is to moisten a cotton ball and “clean” a leaf with it. If there are small orange-red dots on the cotton then you probably have mites.

Regards,

Christer[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Really? I guess this does prove I have extraordenary tiney thing vision. I always consitterd those mites to be big, lol.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (joseph @ Dec. 12 2002,03:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">seedling,  sounds like spider mites, same ones I get on my citrus trees.  I spray the entire plant down with a houseplant bug spray and they all go away.  The type that live on the leaves such as yours are generally easy to kill with most poisons that list mites on the product.  It's the mites in the roots that can be a real pain.

joe[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
really now? I didn't know spider mites made webbing. Thats sort of neet to know. In the past, I've seen that webbing with various types of scails though.

Interesting note: True spider mites feed off of animal blood, but because many other free living spiecies of mites look similar, the name has become as generalized as the term mite. The use of "spider" in the name comes from the 8 legs and spider like look of all mites. So, how do you tell a true spider mite from a plant mite? Real (or the origenal group to carry this name) Spider mites are very small and black untill they feed, then they turn bright red and nearly double in size, ew!

The use of spider mite is just an abbriviation of Red SPider Mite, and as the above poster said, they are common on citrus and yes, they make webs; I've seen colonies make webs over several square yards. These mites are medium size, and there are others that you wont easily see even with a strong magnifying glass.

So the spider mites generally spoken of are herbivorous. There are many other kinds, and some are living on you right now on your eyelashes
wow.gif

In greenhouses they use some kinds to eat other mites.

I would say it might have a bit of fungus along with posible scale. Good luck. Try orthene on the scale as it is systemic and will be taken up by the plant.

Kim

Back