Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to (nepenthis) pitcher plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol well i dont want a jungle vine. You sure i would need 4 of those lights? i only have two plants. Why are 4 needed? Im not sure about the humidity of mine. Im gonna get a humidity monitor soon so i can check the percentage. Also should i leave the temp the same day and night or should i turn off my heater at night time. Its at roughly 76 degrees in there with some water at the bottom of the propagator to create humidity and should i let it flower? i have heard that some CP's die due to flowering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is ok to lower the temp a little at night but not neccessary. You need the lights to get enough energy per square foot for the plants to grow well, it has nothing to do with how many plants you have.

I wouldn't worry about flowers for 5 years or so, by then you'll know the answer.

joe
    Signature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm so i need 4x 40 watt tube lights? florescent? length? and how much do they cost roughly? I need to buy a humidity dial today to check what percentage its at because my dad recons it might be 100% lol bu i dont think so. I have the two top vents open and still pretty humid in there so ill check today. How would i lower it if it is too high? just put less water in there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was meant to ask 'UV Florescent'? im not sure what type you mean. Hehe. I hate being new to things. I sound like a right idiot asking these questions dont i [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry about sounding stupid, everyone has to start somewhere-that's why we're here-to help each other out with our experiences. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

The more lights are necessary because one simply isn't bright enough to give the plant it's energy from photosynthesis. I don't know what the DIY stores in the UK are like but here in the US a twin tube flourescent fixture for 2x 40 watt flourescents is very common and will only cost between $5 & $10 USD not including the bulbs. For the bulbs you can use two "cool white" and two "warm white" this will give you a relatively even color spectrum which more closely matches the sun (if you check out my Terrarium lighting 101 post in the "Terrarium/greenhouse" forum you will hopefully be able to understand a little better). You can buy more fancy flourescents but having done so in the past I honestly don't see a big difference. But DON'T buy any flourescents that say "Plant light" as these are a rip off and are very dim compared to a plain old cool white flourescent.

Your propagator (I'm assuming this is something similar to a small cold frame grow box but clear?) may be 100% humidiy if it's mostly closed, is there water condensed on the glass? It is only "dangerous" to have very high humidity if the water will not evaporate on the plant's leaves as this can lead to fungal diseases and rot. Most Nepenthes live in a region of almost daily rains but the water must be able to evaporate from the leaves and the excess drain away from the roots and leave the soil just wet but not waterlogged/flooded (this will rot the roots). If you start to see what look like spiderwebs on the plants soil then you know that the humidity is way too highand/or the soil is being kept too wet.
    If you have a couple open holes it should be alright.

Remember that your humidity will drop a bit when you add those lights due to the heat generated by them. You may wind up closing the vents halfway to retain more humidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok well thepropagator has two vents one on each side of the lid. Each one has 4 slits about 3/4 of a cm wide and about 5cm long. I have these both fuller open right now and there is still condensation on the inside of the tank. Ill see what i can do about the lighting as soon as i get some money's [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] there is no water on the actual leaves yet. A few drops may fall onto them though. Ill have to try putting less water in the base next time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris,

Some of these questions depend on the size of your propagator. if you were using 10 gallon aquariums, end-on-end, one shop light is probably sufficeint. That is how a lot of mine are grown and they get good color. I am sure two would be better, so if your propagator is wide enough, go as many as it will allow. It also depends on how far away from the top your plants are,. You will want them as close to the lights as possible.
    The heat switch sounds really nice. If you want to know which types if Nepenthes you can grow, try and get something to monitor the temperatures. The heat on during the day and then off at night might give you the right temperature swing to grow highland Nepenthes. If it does not get cool enough, you could keep it on continously for lowland plants.
    The two you have sound like perfect beginner plants. N. alata is very acomandating and can tolerate a wide range of temperatures and hybrids usually are tougher than pure-breds(this is called "hybrid vigor").
    Keep asking questions and they will get answered, but that book is definitely a must if you are going to get into the hobby.

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If i recall correctly the width of the propagator is 56cm but i cannot be sure because im at college right now. Ill have a look when i get home and figure out how many lights i will need. I am also going to be planting my sundew seeds today hopefully. Will they be ok in with the nepenthes? or should i grow seperately until they surface? The tenperature is constantly help between 72 and 77 degrees F when the heater is switched on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast