Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to (nepenthis) pitcher plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like you could get at leas three, maybe four shoplights on. Another thing about lights, is that many people have theri own opinion on what kid to use. I have heard full spectrum do not really do anything and others swear by them. I do know you will do fine with just plain old 40 watt cool white. You can also alternate with your bulbs and do hafl CW and half warm white, just to change the spectrum a little.
    What kind of sundew seed are you sowing? I personally in this situation would sow the seed in your pots, and then put the pots in little plastic baggies and put that within a coupe of inches of the light. I like to spray a mist of fungicide before doing that, but that is just me.
    Maybe you should move the sundew seed Q to the Sundew forum.

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok...... Is there a website i can order those bulbs from? I looked in a hardware store here in the Uk earlier and the bulbs were ú10 pounds for 300mm 40watt ones and i dont think they had cool white or warm white. The sundew is a (Capensis) tropical kind so the conditions are almost identicle. The only light i have in my house right now is a UV flouresent bulb. My dad thinks that will kill the plants because of the UV in it. Its not a dark dark UV one like in theme parks. Its fairly light in the purply colour. Dont know if they can be used?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you will be able to use your UV light. It's not the UV which harms the plant as much as a wrong bulb color (this is called a Kelvin rating). What you want is a bulb giving as close to a crisp white light as possible. A purple tinted light is likely to be in the 20,000+ Kelvin rating and what you need for good plant growth is 5,000K to 6,500K. 5000K is the optimum "white" light as it's the rating of the noonday sun at the equator. The higher you go in K numbers from this the bluer the light will be, the lower you go from 5000K the yellower the light will be.

I'm sure that your local DIY, Hardware or Home store should carry cheap replacement flourescents, tell them you are looking for some shoplight replacement tubes called cool white & warm white. In the US you can buy two 4 foot, 40 watt flourescent cool white or warm white tubes for about $4USD as they are so common you can even buy them at the grocery store.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is natural sunlight not alright to use for nepenthes? because mine are ina window sil right now. Not too much sun yet but it is still a fairly bright position and as spring starts the light will become greater.... I have even noticed a big diference in growth just from putting the plants into the propagator. They have started growing quite quickly again lol.

Far too old to grow up now. Kate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Natural light is great if you have a fairly bright window or if/when you can put them outside. Making sure they get enough light on a window is a bit difficult, but if you think there is enough try it and see what happens.
    I typo, therefore I edit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "ditto above" [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123