What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Maxima

My college's greenhouse is having a plant sale, and they had a fairly large N. Maxima. However it did not have any pitchers, but the plant looked to be in great shape, but I noticed that it was planted in regular soil. Is this the reason that there were no pitchers present? Also is N. Maxima a difficult plant to grow and is it a slow grower?

it's known as easy one grow fast and huge in size
yes could be there are no pitchers cuz of the soil mix.
I like them as they nice and so big you would need some good space for it.
arie

Tim,

I would suspect you speculation about the regular soil mix is correct. When Neps are over fertilized they often stop producing pitchers.

If the plant looks healthy otherwise I would say go for it and repot it in standard Nep media. Give it a little time and I am sure it'll start pitchering for you

Pyro

Thanks guys. Do you have a stab at how long it would take for the plant to start growing pitchers again?

Well, after repotting it( and depending on what conditions you put it in) I'd say about a month. Thats my opinion. Just wish I new where to find one...

It really depends on a lot of factors. If you are very gentle and careful transplanting then 1-3 months would be about the norm, but given the nutrient load that the plant has been getting it might take a little longer before the plant gets "hungry" enough.

If it is a large vine you might also want to consider doing cuttings. I'd wager that those would probably produce pitchers pretty quick once they got growing.

I agree, about a month, maybe more, but if it is substantial in size as you say, I would rather have it than a baby that has been treated well and has pitchers, because after you repot this sucker, making sure to clean his roots by flushing with distilled water, oh my... I bet he pitchers like crazy once the shock is over... think of all the dormant pitcher buds just hanging out... waiting.... drool...

but it, treat it well if for no other reason no one else will.

Back