What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New nep alata x maxima

Hello everyone,

I recently recieved a new nep in the mail from a generous individual, but I need a bit of help with it.  The plant was somewhat stressed prior to shipping and when I recieved it the edges of the leaves were a bit mushy and black.  Since then the mushyness has gone away ecxept on a growth point but the leaves continue to decay from the edges.  I've only had the plant for about a week so I expect it to be in shock but not to continue decaying.  The parts of the plant that are green and least damaged seem healthy enough.   The plant gets high humidity and bright artificial light.  I guess in short what I'm asking is, is this decay due to damage or disease that could spread and what to do about it?

here are some pics

002.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

Thanks
joe

Looks like a tad of frost bite. Don't worry unless ther whole leaf goes brownish then you can snip it off.

Frost bite. Good thought. Thanks Nep.

Personally if I received a plant that looked like that I would divide the stem into 4 or 5 node cuttings chances are at least one will take (if not most of them) and you will have an almost all new healthy plant. In a few months!
wink.gif

Ok this is not good. The plant is getting worse. The decay on the leaves has slowed down greatly as if perhaps it was cold damage in shipping. BUT Now black areas are appearing at the bases of the leaves where they connect to the stem and spreading into the stem. Not up and down the stem just into the stem locally. I fear this will cause the stem to die. I treated the plant with a light spray of physon 20 but no effect. I don't want to resort to swords' suggestion of cutting up the plant for cuttings but I'm definately scared now.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

thanks
joe

Joe,

if the plant is getting worse i would go ahead and make cuttings out of it. better having 6-8 cuttings out of it then having the hole plant die off.
also leave the piece that is in the pot there and start off 6 leaves up then cut. from there divided it up into 3-4 leaves each and then plant them up.
i truthfull don't thing the growing point is going to make it and your better off makeing cuttings out of it and rooting them.

just my 2 cents

Hi Joe, that's most likely from being too cold. Since I've had that plant for so long I'm pretty sure this is what you should do:

*Cut the 2 stems back to about 3-4 nodes each and root those cuttings;

*Place the mother plant in near-full sun with min 85% humidity and very warm temps. You'll need to rely on basal- and side-shoots for the new growth.

That plant performed best for me last summer when the light was blinding and the humidity never dropped below 85-90%. Likes heavy watering too as long as it drains completely.

Knowing that plant, I'm confident it will spring back in no time. Remember it needs very high light to pitcher (I can't stress this enough, many Nepenthes need very strong light to do well, otherwise pitchers will be small and growth minimal). It had 10" pitchers on it before I shipped it.
Ludwig

sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

Thanks guys.
Ludwig, the plant is only inches from 8 4ft tubes and I use an ultrasonic humidifier so it will grow back. (should have the halide setup done this weekend
smile.gif
)

I fear I may have to cut it awfully close to the base due to signs of damage. sure hope it springs back. I am patient but loss is not acceptable.

I just don't get it, it was only on the porch for a couple of hours and the temp was around 50.

Thanks again.
joe

Goerge, Where at in florida?

Sorry one more question, how to root, hormones/no hormones.....in water or in LFS....you get the idea.

thanks
joe

Growone rooting hormones (cut 1/4-1/2 slits in the stem at the base and dip it in the growone there is also rootone but, i heard that growone is better it is a liquid so it puts right amount of hormones on the stem where rootone is a powder and there is always to much or to little on it.

place it in LFM and keep it humid

also cut the leaves in half from tip to center.

Joe, 50F sounds like a concern to me, considering I kept the plant at a minimum of 66F; even though a highlander should be ok with this, perhaps just the sudden change in temp caused the browning. I still would recommend keeping it warmer.

Also, don't worry about cutting back too much; this particular plant grows VERY fast so you'll have a gorgeous plant by summer if you keep light levels high enough.

In regards to taking cuttings, your comment of carving 2 grooves on either side of the stem, an inch or so up from the cut, is very effective:  I have observed cuttings with 5-inch root masses, dangling ONLY from these two cut grooves.  It would appear that in some cases roots would form no other way.

OK, the dead is done. Three stems have been treated with hormones and placed in the large LFS next to the original plant. Looking closely at the plant base it still seems healthy so I expect it to do well.

I've moved the heater off of the day timer and turned the humidifier up. This is ok for now but it will need its own chamber soon or my other cps may suffer in the higher night temps. work work work. but the rewards are so great.

thanks all,
joe

Joe,

to answer your question.

the last time i went up on www.myflorida.com to check my drivers i.d. it didn't give a location.

hope the plant turns out ok for ya

Back