Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orange/brown round spots on leaves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear all:

There are these round spots that are orangy-brown on my N. veitchii H/L leaves and I wonder what they could be??
    I look forward to anybody's reply.

Agustin

[img]http://home.**********.com/agustinfranco/nepenthes%20pics/spotsonnep.jpg[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They don't look like anything bad, may be the "sunscreen/sunburn" that some neps with thick leaves are said to get, or it could be a fungus that I think is called Rust fungus or something similar... HOPE THIS HELPS!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/alien.gif[/img]
    I am back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fungus of some sort is my guess. You can see the yellowish margin around it which is pretty typical for a disease organism that has damaged surrounding tissue from the point of infection.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tony:

Thanks for your feedback. What type of fungicide do you recommend for neps?. Thanks

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know your conditions but my N. northiana looks like this now because I swapped all six of the lights out for new ones (the old ones were over a year old) and the old leaves look terrible but the pitchers still look great and the new leaves are far larger and the pitchers should be too.

IF it's not a disease and just a sudden light intensity change similar to what my plants experinced I wouldn't worry about much other than being sure the humidity is sufficently high for pitcher development.

However, if you are growing under only a couple dim 40 watt flourescents in a sealed terrarium and have not recently changed the lights I would think of a disease of some sort. Possibly a fungal infection caused by water sitting in droplets on the leaves for an extended period of time can allow bacterias to create stains on the leaves. A lot of Orchids are experts at developing stain and Neps are second in line. If a simple fungal infection simply allow more air circulation with a little 1 1/2" -2" PC fan in your terrarium (blowing the wall not the plants-at least at first to acclimate them to air movement).

Just a few ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Swords:

This plant is not in a terrarium but in a greenhouse with proper aeration. thus, it may be just too much light??. I applied a systemic fungicide and i'll wait to see the results. Thanks for your input.

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel kind of dumb for saying this, but if they are the little spots on the leaves, aren't they nector glands?

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's quite likely those spots used to be nectar glands and the burning started there. They are fragile and will burn up very quickly with a sudden decrease in humidity and rise in heat/light. Especially if you were to spray the plants in bright hot conditions in an attempt to keep the humidity up and "wet the leaves" you will actually be washing the nectar away. The nectar keeps the actual glands themselves supple and "wet" sitting under the globule of nectar.

Here's a shot of my N. bicals leaf nectar glands secreting nectar:

And the underside showing the dark spots:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast