Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New nep looking real rough

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [img]http://home.**********.com/caspertg333/images/P1010013.JPG[/img]

Edit: Sorry, you have to scroll over to see the plant in question, I didn't re-size the photo before posting.

My plant is deteriating daily, as you can see its lookin pretty rough. Any suggestions?

Its planted in straight live sphagnum moss and I water it with distilled water. I really don't think its root rot, but any suggestions are welcome.

Casper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it a newly rooted cutting? I have lost plants to cold weather that looked similar to that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pitchers dry up when the plant has just been acquired and it is adjusting to the new environment. However, I don't like the looks of those brown spots on the leaves. Too much light may hurt the plant and dry up the leaves. I think i am suggesting something that swords suggested to me as well. have you measured the humidity levels??

Agustin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the lack of info. It is kept in a terrarium at about 78* in the day, and 68* at night. I just recieved it about 10 days ago from an online dealer.

Casper

Humidity stays above 50%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bet is that it is the clay pot. For what I can see..there is no drainange...and it's standing in water..that's a big nono..it can't absorb water that well..and it rots the root..Put it in a...dunkin' donutscup..and poke a bunch of holes at the bottom! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] If the clay pot DOES have drainage..I would wash it out alot...there could be residue of some sort mixing with the water...
    I share your sorrow and your grief…Numberless times I convey my anguish.....

This is my story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch!

I would describe the plant on the right as electric-chair-shipping shock.

I had on bical come almost that bad. Other plants in the shipment were OK, so it's a sensitive little fanged devil. The new leaf looks great.

I'd trim a lot of the black death back and pray for the new growth. Mist and breathe a lot of CO2 on it. Read stories to it. Little Ship of Horrors is a great one. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW that took forever to download lol.

Uh yeah looks pretty bad. Hard to say... Did that damage appear pretty much as we see it within a few days of arrival or was it just a little and has been progressing each day to this point?
    Where the leaves all droopy and shriveled just before they started turning black or where they firm and looking on the healthy side shortly after arrival?
    Did it have a good root system? Bareroot stripped clean or with potting mix around them?

My thoughts...

Damage from cold/heat takes a few days to show up sometimes. N. bicalcarata is particularly sensitive and dislikes shipping of any sort in my experience. So some blackened leaf edges are common although not to the extent you have.

If the plant was healthy looking and the leaves looked great and all of a sudden everything turned black then it was probably something in shipping. If the leaves shriveled up and flopped down to the pot then turned black it is probably a humidity/moisture issue with an unestablished plant.

Few things I would do..

Cut off all the dead parts. Put the plant in a ziplock to increase humidity. Keep it warmer. 78/68 is not really warm enough for N. bicalcarata. You could contact the nursery... maybe they will send another.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The clay pot does have a single drainage hole in the middle of the pot.

If I am to uproot it and re-pot, should I change the medium?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast