What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthe Rajah

Vote Tuyen Thi  off of our "island"?!!? - By request of a moderator (or two..

• Yes... kick him off and never let him back on

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suspend him yet again

• No, leave him be, he's harmless

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Allright after much considerization I have made a few decisions. Tuyen's Rajah could have very well eaten a squirrel, I personally don't care because I am a hunter myself. Secondly, do alot of people belive feeding your Rajah a squirrel is wrong, yes, do I yes, why? Because first off you MAY rot the pitcher, secondly, why not go around the house with a bucket and collect about 20-40 insect and dump them all in??? It will be MUCH more nutritious then a squirrel to a Nepenthes. I wish I knew that recipe, that your friend has Tuyen, would do ANYTHING for it as if it can get my Rajah huge then WANT SOME SOON!!!!! Also I want to know what size are your pitchers and the diamter of the pant, does it have a stem. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, do the leaves have a pelate tendril insertion? Are the pitchers red with a HUGE fluted persitome, how tall is the lid? See all these questions I need to knwo the answer to,to see if you really do have a Rajah, and I can tell if you lie in your answers to my questions so don't, answer truthfully only. So what I want you to do today is go up to your Rajah WITH a ruler and measure what I want to know, write it all down on a pad of paper so you on't forget. And I don't want any of the "medium sized" measurements either, that tells all of us NOTHING. Thank-You.

I think the main point about the squirrel is that is it not the NATURAL diet of a nepenthes pitcher plant. The squirrel was unnaturally lured to the trap...unnaturally snared in the pitcher...and unnaturally held in the pitcher. And plants don't have lungs in which to COUGH up anything! Ask any botanist how many plants cough. And quite frankly, the whole thing doesn't sound plausible to me. I can't imagine a 2-lb squirrel with its bushy tail even fitting into a pitcher much less staying in it.

Its fine to feed your CPs if you want to as long as what you're feeding it is APPROPRIATE diet for the plant. IF a pitcher catches something NATURALLY that isn't typical food...so be it.

But to catch and kill a squirrel just for kicks...it is my *opinion* that its cruelty. What nature does on her own is life...what man has to do for food is life. But no need to take a life unneccesarily. But hey...I'm an animal lover and a peace lover. I don't feel a need to experiment with animals.

I too would love to know the actual size of the pitcher.

S

Thats the point I am trying to make (PlantAKiss said it better), it's unnatural!.

I unfortunatly can't get this through there thick skulls to reach there brains.

woo, go NepG

and thats what ive been meanign to say, for kicks its cruelty, i can understand lions eating gizzells and stuff but look, in the wild some nepenthes even catch small monkey in ther pitchers, but they dont lure the monkeys to it, they are just stupid and go in, the lids arnt closed on it, i can understand a monkey going into a pitcher, but purposly puting a squirrel into a rajah is cruel

so where are those measurements?

Here is the information on the largest pitcher that is on the nepenthes rajah , the pitcher is 12 and a half inches , it is 11 and one quarter inches around the pitcher , the pitcher is reddish orange , the plant has no stem , the lid is 4 inches tall , the plant is about 37 inches around , pitcher has a fluted peristome , the tendril is connected to the middle under part of the pitcher , tendril is in front of pitcher , and what is a pelate tendril . I was going to give you guys samples of the liquid , but it seems that you tried to prove me wrong that i had a nepenthes rajah that ate a 2 pound squirrel , and could we please stop this debate , it's giving me bigger headaches and frustrtion.

tuyen, i have been wondering, how old are you?? i am 14, turning 15 in 2 months

and im not trying to prove you wrong that you dont have one, you prolly have one becuase you say you do, i beleive that, i just dont beleive it was big enought to eat the squirrel.

also, does that liquid work better than superthrive?

but im still buzzed that it has a foot big pitcher and that you have it in a 5" pot? neps like alot of room in there soil, not root bound, in order for a merrilliana to get that big it needs like a half gallon pot to produce huige pitchers like that, nepg's rajah is in a 7" pot.

(Edited by Stefano1 at 5:47 pm on May 27, 2002)

I am 12 years old , my birthday was on May 26 . The liquid works real better than superthrive , I'll try to see if I can make the manager give me the recipe for the liquid .Thank you for telling me that the nepenthes rajah don't like to be root bound , I'll put it in my 10 inch pot right away .

cool, im just saying, lots of neps dont like to be root bound, bcuase with merrilliana if it gets root bound the growth will slow and and will rot if not transplanted to a bigger pot, when you transplant it do it carefully, try not to hurt the roots at all, that would be cool if you could send some of us a sample of that liquid

Tuyen, I have NO intent on being mean AT ALL. All I was saying is thta I am frustrated with this disscusion and what has ben said. OK Peltate Tendril insertion means can you SEE that the tendril is halfway up the leave and comes out at the middle, which you said it does, perhaps you do have a Rajah but with out pictures I am just assuming that you are telling everyhting factufully and truthfully. Also I woudl LOVE a smaple or the recipe if you can get it form the manager. So as far as I can tell, our friend Tuyen has a HUGE Rajah on his hands. But like I said without illustrital evidence I am not 100% sure on this. Right now I belive Tuyen about 50% the ohjter 50 would be a picture of him and his plant. Please try to get the recipe! We would all apprecaite it! Also stefano, I have to put you off on the rootbound issue for a second, N.Rjaha appears to be surface rooted and actually MAY like being JUST snug in a container as reports say. I wouldn't worry about transplanting it UNLESS you have roots coming out the bottom, and/or the soil is VERY compact from alot of roots. The ONLY Nepenthes thta are LARGER growers than Rajah ROOTWISE are N.Merrilliana,N.Sumatrana,N.Bicalcarata,N.Truncata,N.Burbidgea and etc of larger species.

(Edited by nepenthes gracilis at 8:53 pm on May 27, 2002)

ok, i am always wrong, no body listen to me

*sniffle*

I'll see what I can do to get the recipe , although it's going to be hard to find his recipe paper .

Forget the recipe...give me the address of the nursery where you can find nepenthes even if it is not rajah:)
BTW: I live in Southern CA too, and I have never heard of ANY nursery that sells rare or a wide selection of cps. None of the local growers(30+) know of a nursery that sells quality cps in the area.

Thanks, Tuyen. Stefano, I never said you were wrong and you are not, your right as a mattter of fact! Your absoulutly right!
smile.gif
You were telling right information at the wrong time. Ironic, eh?
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back