User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Divided my N. Coccinea hope I didn\'t kill it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This afternoon I finally bit the bullet and divided my x "coccinea" into single shoots. It was a clump of about 11 stalks/basal shoots (does this mean it was 11 years old-1 stalk per year?) I divided it and now have 9 new plants. The whole 11 stalk plant was in an 8" pot and completely rootbound into a solid mass of roots with only pockets of peat compressed so hard by the roots they seem like horse manure pellets!

My problem is I lost almost all of the roots (only the two smallest basal shoots still have roots not many). So basically all the other stalks are like cuttings (I treated them with rootone and superthive soak) but they have pitchers and large leaves. .. will these 8"-12" cuttings be OK with the leaves and pitchers on them or must I chop them off? Any idea when these cuttings may resume active growth? I know I hurt the plant pretty good...

All cuttings and the two small basal shoot plants were repotted into quart size clear deli containers using pure LF Sphagnum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't cut anything off. Don't expect any growth for a while though. Keep the soil moist and keep them in extremely high humidity and most of them, if not all, should be ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on your environmental conditions it will probably take a month or two before they start sending out new roots and begin growing again. As Dyflam mentioned. .. They will need extreamly high humidity to keep from wilting
    Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks folks!
    I see a couple of the cuttings wilted overnight but today I'm hooking up a ultrasonic humidifier to the new chamber that the excess cuttings are in, so hopefully the two wilters will bounce back.

Thanks again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you might also try putting a little distilled water in the pitchers, perhaps the plants will re-absorb it as needed.

just a thought.... theory really... probably wouldn't hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ram!

I've done that now the boring part, waiting for them to take hold! Guess I should buy some new small neps to keep my brains busy! 8-)

I've read that putting water in the pitchers of cuttings is very helpful. What kind of Nepenthes do you plan on buying?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eventually, one of everything! 8-)

Seriously though, right now I don't have the room for more lowlanders/intermediates til I get rid of these cuttings!
    In my cloudforest vivarium (top temp is about 75* nights 65*) I want to try a N. fusca and an N lowii planted inside a sphagnum filled cork bark log! 8-)