What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestions for low humidity environment?

RamPuppy

Hey all, I am looking for a very tollerant Nepenthes.

I have decided I want to grow one in a hanging basket right inside my living room window, as I have grown all mine in a terrarium to day, I was wondering if I could tap into all the wide breadth of knowledge out there.

the spot I have picked has good light, especially in the evening, it will get about an hour and a half of direct sun, with no chance of scorching. the rest of the time it will get diffused sunlight, enough to be happy I believe.

It is also sheltered from air vents, and if need be, I can put a humidifier on a timer near by... but I would prefer not to have to do that.

Thanks guys!

I think it would matter what your normal humidity is in the room over the year. In the northeast summertime humidity here is fine for even many highland Nepenthes. While wintertime humidity is very low when the arctic blasts hit and the house is closed up with heat on. I have had a few Nepenthes however growing on various windowsills for long term and they seem to do fine in either east or west window. I don't go nuts trying to cater to increasing humidity or anything special.

N. truncata
N. xVentrata
N. khasiana
N. rafflesiana
N. merrilliana
N. maxima

There are others that I have grown on my windowsills without much difficulty but these I think are the least picky (the merrilliana sometimes doesn't pitcher during the winter months when temps around the window are a bit chilly)
Tony

Hi Ram

I have read something quite revolutionary in a few places now, and that is that humidity may not be that important for a healthy Nep. Try one of your Neps in that position you mention and concentrate on getting everything else right - light, growing medium, water and see what happens.

The worst that is likely is it doesn't pitcher. If so, then move it......

Cheers, fatboy.

I would have to agree Fatboy. I had many very young (ie less than 1" diameter) Nepenthes growing on my east windowsill for over a year. This included things like hamata, which didn't always pitcher but did double in size. I think most people would find that many Nepenthes species are very tolerant to humidity provided the plant is in good health and other factors such as light, temperature, moisture at the roots is correct, provided they give the plants ample time to adjust. There are some however that are just tough and unforgiving if their requirements are not met.. rajah, villosa...

Tony

Ram,

I grew N. ventricosa, N. khasiana ans N. alata on a windowsill in Colorado for a year, they were all 4 inches across when I recieved them and are now 24, 18 and 10 inches across respectivly. I would recommend N. ventricosa as the plant you are looking for, mine has been bomb proof (I forgot to water it once before I went on vacation and when I came back 2 weeks later it was completely wilted, panicing I stuck it in the bathroom sink and watered it for 10 minutes. It responded by putting out 4 new pitchers. )

I would also agree with Fatboy and Tony that humidity isn't really and issue if everything else is right. Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

Pyro

Good choices everyone and opinions. I for one am going to be growing my N.merrilliana in a hanging pot one it outgrows it's container from Phil. I think it will do okay and it will look nice in it's hanging pot since the average humidity in my house is around 65 to 80% always. and the temp. is always 70 to 80 deg. F. all the time. Nep.G.

Fortunately I never have to worry about humidity here. It varies between downright uncomfortable to completely unbearable, until you get used to either living with a constant glossy sheen (bit like a Drosera, I guess) or showering 6 times a day. Right now is the worst, I thought the rain had started but no, it's just hanging to pour but won't. I showered 4 times today already.

Tony I'd agree with you choices too. Funny thing though, most of them are lowland or at most, intermediate (maxima). Those guys actually enjoy some of the most stable environments of any CP's. Very little seasonal or diurnal temperature variation, constant rain and humidity. Villosa, rajah and those other "tough" highlanders are buggers to grow yet in nature their conditions are just plain harsh, a lot of the time. Hot days, cold nights, strong winds and freezing rain squalls!!

Go figure....

Cheers, fatboy.

Thanks Guys... I have written all your suggestions down, and will keep a list handy, and look for deals around the net, or wherever I can find them I am looking for an already almost mature, or mature specimen, as I am impatient when it comes to plants out in the open... It is unfortunately, going to have to be pretty spectacular from the get go (We must maintain asthetics right?)

Summer and winter really doesn't vary much for me here, we have not had anything below 30 degree temperatures here in ages, and honestly since we are insulated like crazy for the texas heat, we hold in heat pretty well too.

Since I already have Merriliana, Ven X Max, and a raf, I am thinking of going with a Truncata, do you think a Truncata X Vetchie hybrid would do OK? (I might have one lined up.)

Let me know... what about Bicalarata?

Ram, I think Bical is probably one of, if not THE best choice actually. It's a lowlander like all the others that have been recommended. In addition it often grows under canopy (in forest that I think is called Dipterocarp - I invite anyone to correct me if I'm wrong here) so can tolerate a bit less light.

Gets pretty big though. The leaves can be enormous.

Cheers, fatboy.

I dissagree with Fatboy that bicalcarata is the best choice. I have had a hard time getting them to pitcher on my windowsill. They were growing fine but pitchers never developed which leads me to believe low humidity was the cause. And when I tossed them into the greenhouse they promptly died when the temps dropped into the low 60s. They seem to me to be much less forgiving for lowlanders.

You mentioned the truncata x veitchii hybrid. I would think it would be ok too. I can think of many plants not listed that would be fine.. ventricosa, alata, truncata hybrids as well as other species.

Tony

thanks guys!

So an N.alata hybrid would be alright for low humidity conditions?

Back