User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the diff between spahgum and peat moss?

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    which is better for neps?
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long Fibered Sphagnum moss is the best "single item" soil ingredient in which to grow Nepenthes. LFS is nice because it will eventually come to life if your conditions are correct for nepenthes and you will actually be growing your own soil! Living sphagnum moss is what many nepenthes grow in in the wild, especially the highland/cool growing species.
    If you wanna use unfertilized canadian sphagnum peat you have to add about 50% pearlite to make it open enough for nep roots.

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so is dry long fibered sphagum Moss alone ok for neps?should i add 50% sand? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

thanks!

wezx
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wezx, I think the Singaporeans can help you out with this.

You can buy dried sphagnum moss from NTUC, and it will eventually come to life, I believe, as swords mentioned.

You don't need sand at all, what your neps want is aerated soil, with enough space for the roots to breathe. I find that sphagnum moss by itself is quite sufficient, but if you want to you can add other things, like osmunda tree fibre etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the information...so dried spahgum moss alone is ok for neps??and what about other types of CPs is it ok for them also?if so...then all i need to buy is spahgum moss!

wezx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think an alternative mix for most CPs would be one part peat to one part sand. Read the plant care sheets from **********. I think they will provide u with valuable info regarding the soil mixes, light requirements, etc etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so the two options are 1:1 peat moss +sand and 100% long fibre spahgum moss?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about this (someone emailed me this)...:"use a mixture of peat moss, sphagnum moss (live or long fibered), perlite or
    pumice, and charcoal"....By The way what is pertile?can i use sand instead?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast