Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie seeks help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Tony said, ventricosa and most ventricosa hybrids should do well. Many highland nepenthes do well, even on windowsills. Other than ventricosa, khasiana, sanguinia, and x Judith Finn (spathulata x veitchii) are excellent plants, and can even be grown on windowsills. I'm from right across the lake, in Youngstown, NY.

Anyways, welcome to the forums [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

I'm not sure about where to get nepenthes in Canada. You might find something on the ICPS webring, at http://www.carnivorousplants.org/web...bringmain.html

If you want to grow plants on a windowsill, stick with highland plants like I do here in Alaska. Good ones for me have been N. khasiana and N. sanguinea. I also suspect that highland forms of N. maxima and N. alata would do pretty well. N. ventricosa would probably do good too, but I haven't had much luck with it. If your worried about humidity, you can purchase a small Holmes, cool mist humidifier for about $26 from Lowes or Wall Mart. Here in Alaska, the days are getting shorter, and my plants are growing slower. If the days get too much shorter, I'll haveto transfer them to my special growing room. You could also grow many nepenthes in a terrarium. Just make sure you put in nepenthes with similar environmental needs( highlanders with highlanders, and lowlanders with lowlander). I don't know where to get nepenthes in Canada. Try ordering off the internet within the next month. Hope that helps [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try not to get a strict highland that will get too big anytime soon like a sanguinea though...

Here in southern ontario, our summers get HOOOOOT!!! Deadly for highlands, even with an iced terrarium... U totally need to watch forthat. Leaveone summer for experimenting... DO be careful! Hehehe...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parasuco... you're in Hamilton?
    Seedling, which part of Toronto area?
    I'm up in Richmond Hill....

Anyways, back on topic. Seedling... you can check Sheridan Nursuries at Hwy 7 between Warden and Kennedy across the street from White Rose. Last time I checked, they had some young Neps (unidentified) but the ones they had left were not in good condition. They did have some really nice, large Neps (can't remember what they were labelled though). [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]
    DOH!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im right downtown Toronto,

thanks for all the advice and spots to looks.

Ill check them out this weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in southern ontario, our summers get HOOOOOT!!! Deadly for highlands, even with an iced terrarium... [/QUOTE]

Parasuco, I've grown highland nepenthes in Niagara Falls for two years, without using anything to cool them, on windowsills. The only species that has even slowed growth over the summer is N. fallax, and I haven't lost any of them to heat.
    Ultrahighland nepenthes might have problems, but the highland ones are just fine for a couple months in the heat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some one just emailed me that Home Depot in Toronto sells them. Home depot = toy store for adult men, and its a pay week.

This is going to be bad.

8. Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12