Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie seeks help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Hello all,

I am a newbie to cp's and have been doing some reading for the past two weeks trying to decide what kind of cps to start with and I think I am hooked on the beauty of the nepenthe ,

I was wondering what you would recommend as " easy" neps for a beginner? and does any one know where one can order or purchase them in Canada?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with N. ventricosa or a N. ventricosa hybrid like xVentrata (often labelled just N. Ventrata). They are very adaptable and do well on a bright windowsill. Your northerly climate would be the right temperature range also.

Sorry I can't help on the Canadian sources question ;<
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the closest people I know to you gotta be NG and Tony, and they know all about growing stuff up in that place where ice and stuff is on the ground in the winter (strange) so I would definately heed their advice...

I can tell you your biggest obstacle will be warmth and humidity... especially humidity because your heater will rip it right out of the air.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey! Where in Canada are you?

I can give you a few websites to get neps off of, but I wouldn't do it this time of year... Its starting to get on the cold side...

If you live in the Hamilton area of ontario, reply ASAP, because I know where you can get some healthy neps... They're at my work, and they JUST came in. Some are in hanging baskets... about ten inch diameteres. I havent got a chance to realy see what kinds they are yet as I only went in there to check my hours, but I'm gin tommorow, and I BETTER get one for myself! Hehhe... There are a few diff kinds...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in Toronto, so not too far from Hamilton.

I guess to resolve the warmth and humidity problem I am was thinking of using a terrarium, I have a spare tank that is 30 " long , 24" high by 12 " wide. Think I could house a couple plants in there?

I have a small 70watt high pressure sodium light kicking about however I think the heat from it might be too much for a terrarium so I was going to use some compact fluorescents.

Any thoughts suggestions ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well. If you know where the White Rose on Upper James/Hw.6 is, come as soon as you can... I guess you can check the places around you too, but righ was you walk in theres a tray set up with small hanging pots and ones in regular four inch pots... The hanging ones are about four inches too...

If you don't mind me asking... How old are you? I mean... Are you capable of driving yourself around, or do you need a parent? Weekdays we close at 9:30... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    man, all this talk about getting Neps at a local store where you guys live and i have checked lowes,walmart,k-mart,called all the nurserys and there is only one place to get them local here and i have them already. man it must be nice to walk in a store and buy a couple of them.

o and by the way welcome to the forum Seedling
    George McKay

In The End We are All Dead
    Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    seedling,

You could try Michael Homick at: mhomick@execulink.com

Michael is stocking Nepenthes and is in Canada.
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast