Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rare plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I threw the idea out as a complement to him, a sign of solid support and trust for the growth of his company, and that was clear from my posting. He's a big boy, and I'm sure realizes that none of us, or any of his many other customers, believe he is obligated to do anything for anyone. I've been feeding my family through Agricuture for decades, and when you import plants, you have to make big orders to make it worthwhile.

But let's turn it around since ariel doesn't like the direction this is taking. There is a desire on this very thread for some unusual pings. If some member not associated with this site were to find out he or she could get Pinguicula whatever from company X, but would have to buy 10 of them, how many people would be willing to pledge to buy one of them? I would.

But then there is the potential of taking business away from the people who pay for this website, and this was another concern I had when I made my initial post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a business point of view it does not make alot of sense for Phil to change the way he is running PFT. He already imports plants but does not have the facilities to do what you are asking. The only species which has a high enough monetarily value is Nepenthes and to make any money as a distributor it is necessary to import alot of TC/seed grown plants from a wholesaler (who does the TC or grows out the seeds) and then have the facilities to harden the plants off and grow them out until they reach a resaleable size and sell them for a minimal profit to stay competetive. This takes alot of upfront cash and a large enough facility to grow the plants out, waiting a long period of time. during the wait the plants may drop in value (like the N. hamata and N. campanulata did) which hurts the distributor's ability to sell at any profit. It is an expensive and risky business to be in.

For the other species, Drosera, Pings, Utrics, etc. there is not enough value seen in them to make distribution a viable alternative. How many people will pay $30 for a ping? for these species you have to go straight to the folks doing the TC, and unfortunately there are very few of them - TC Labs are not cheap and there just isn't the demand for the plants to outweigh the risk in attempting to produce them.

There are a couple of nurseries who are currently in the process of putting in TC facilities here in the states and some of these species will be more available in the near future (a year or so) - but until then it makes more sense to pool your money and place bulk orders to the suppliers yourselves. Adding in a middle man and expecting them to do all the work without realizing some decent profit is unrealistic and unlikely to happen.

My 2 cents and only what I know from dealing with the various folks in this business.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was what was called a productive reply. The facilities are absent, so it's a no go either way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was actually thinking along the idea of a group order, where the high cost of shipping and phytosanitary certificate could be split among the people ordering. Plants could be shipped to one trustworthy person, who can distribute the plants(after being paid the shipping cost).

I'm sorry if I caused any trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how can you be competing with someone when you dont even have the product they do? last I check PFT didnt have N. hamata or N. campanulata. Therefore there is no competion one company hast it the other doesnt plain and simple.

Peace
    Peace

Would someone just ask him already [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif[/img] . Jeese.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "how can you be competing with someone when you dont even have the product they do? last I check PFT didnt have N. hamata or N. campanulata. Therefore there is no competion one company hast it the other doesnt plain and simple."

I've noticed that Phillip sells many of the rare varieties on ebay, and I was trying to think of a way where there wasn't any competition, after all, he's paying for this conversation.

But a group order could easily get to the 1000 dollar figure that is the minimum order for some houses. I'm in if anyone else is and we can do it ethically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok well thanks for the info, doesnt make much sense to me though, I can never understand the way some people run there bussineses. But whatever.
    Peace

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123