What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowlands

• Thread starter Joe Dirt
  • Start date
ok i got a couple of questions. do low lands like bright direct sunlight or bright filtered sunlight? would they do good on a deck in a mini greenshouse?

They are more suited to more of a bright shady area. Also yes a mini greenhouse would be fine for them as long as you can provide good venting and not overheat them and high humdity.

Direct light in the early morning or late afternoon is fine but just bright indirect during the day would do. A mini ghouse would be fine but as NepG mentions.. Careful that it doesn't cook your plants if the sun hits it. The problem with venting is you will lose your humidity in an effort to keep the temps down from the sunlight hitting it.
Tony

ok , but what would be the best why to humidife it?

o yea one more. they like bright shade. well i got a lot of tress around my house, so i could probably place it in the shade part under trees then

How big of a mini Ghouse are we talking? One of those terrarium type things thats a couple feet long? or something you can walk into??

If it is one of those plastic terrarium like miniGhouses I would suggest keeping it inside and getting a couple shoplights to hang over it. It is much easier to control the temperature and environment. As soon as you start talking sunlight.. things can get very complex in an effort to balance light/temperature/humidity etc
Tony

To answer your question.. ultrasonic humidifier

Hmm under a tree may or may not be too dark. I think it might be too little light. I woudl suggest hanging a piece of cloth like an awning about 2 feet above your mini greenhouse/chamber thingie. Yes I also would like to know what size you would be talking about.

AH ok I see what your talking now. Could it work in the right location? yes probably. I still think it's a bit risky though too much sun hitting an enclosed growing chamber and in 15minutes you have baked plants. Anything smaller than a full sized ghouse complete with full venting/heating/cooling(humidifying) is not worth the effort and difficulty of growing outside. The extra expense of setting up something like this indoors with some lighting will seem small if the plants all get fried one day for whatever reason or the hidden costs of trying to control the temperature outside with additional hardware. But that is just my opinion. Everyones growing area and environment is different and what might work easily for one person might not for another.
Tony

ok i ll just keep it inside, bc here in NC it has been hot and dry lately. for lighting? shop lights? what kind of bulbs? grow lights?

thanks for all the help

If your not concerned too much with appearance it would be worth looking at the shelving units at Lowes/HD. I have seen nice 4' wide by 2' deep units that fit the 4' shoplights very nicely. You could get some 6mil poly film and cover it. You will primarily be restricted to lowland plants as the shoplights do put off a bit of heat. I am not sure if it would be cheaper but might give you more space than the unit you were looking at with the vinyl cover.

Cool white tubes work fine with the occasional warm white for a little better balance. Yes you can use the growlux or the more balanced chroma/ultralum 50 bulbs but they are more expensive and not absolutely necessary.
Tony

ill just use that for the time being. but how many neps you think could fit in it? as for lighting ill use shoplights with screw-in flourescent bulbs

Quite a few plants could fit in the setup you want. I would say about 30-50 4inch pots or less/more. and about 15 10inch pots.

How many would depend greatly on how big the plants are..

Space does fill up quick and often alot faster than you can imagine!

looks like approximately 2000 square inches of shelving.
That would give you comfortable space for 14, 12 inch diameter plants.
Tony

is there any place online that ships live neps that arent in other countries? and has a good varity

Well you can start off with Tony and PFT.
smile.gif

Tristan's Carnivorous Plants. Try them out. Have you grown any Neps before?

ok, no i have tryed before. but i have done lots of reasearch on the types of plants, so i am planning on getting some within the next couple of months

What I would do is buy a couple easey neps. Like N.ventricosa, khasiana, ect. Then after a year of buying easey neps try them in the mini-greenhouse.

I would agree.. in NC you could probably grow some of the easier ones like truncata, ventricosa, khasiana or a hybrid like xVentrata on a windowsill or under lights without worrying too much about keeping the humidity way up. The only thing would be to acclimate the plants slowly to your growing environment.
Tony

Back