What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowii in aircon?

I just moved my rajah outside after a month of being in the living room for a day of nice cool foggy air. The nights in CA during the summer are pretty cool and there's fog sometimes which helps with the humidity. The new leaves are thicker and bigger, and one tendril is lengthining. The sibuyanensis next to it has longer tendrils now, so maybe lowii can adapt too.

Once well established, N. lowii can grow quite rapidly. I have one clone which produces a new leaf and upper pitcher approximately every four to five weeks. However, to see this kind of growth rate, plants must be well established and cultivated under very good conditions.

Hi,

under less than ideal conditions N. lowii is very slow but consistently growing at a rate of about one new leaf in two months. During summer temperatures in my terrarium are too high and humidity ist too low for N. lowii. During this time growth slows down and no pitchers are produced. It took my clone from Trus Madi about four years from TC to produce an adult lower pitcher:

N_lowii_0903.jpg

Cheers Joachim

4 years?? Looks like it's going to be a long wait for me then... thanks for all the useful info
smile.gif

Here's my plant. You can see the leaf size increase on it.

lowii.JPG

Has anyone ever built a mini-evaporative cooler, like the one in the link, to cool a terrarium, because that would be the best thing for Ebeyonder, just in close proximity... GOOD LUCK!!
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif

EDIT: I have a rough idea for one, any suggestions? :

Get cotton, or a washcloth, somehow have water running through it, and have a PC fan of reasonable strength blowing on it, and that is essentially an evaporative cooler!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

N. lowii really isn't so slow if the conditions are ideal. About one leaf every 4-6 weeks is possible. Strangely it seems that N. ephippiata which is obviously a closely related species grows much faster than that.

In habitat N. lowii is a robust species and can get so huge that it blocks jungle trails along mountain ridge tops and people have to hack their way through the vines. Can you imagine?!
wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Borneo @ Sep. 06 2003,06:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In habitat N. lowii is a robust species and can get so huge that it blocks jungle trails along mountain ridge tops and people have to hack their way through the vines.  Can you imagine?!  
wow.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Think of all those cuttings?!  
tounge.gif

cheers

bill
alien.gif

Back