Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Getting larger pitcher's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

I agree with Tony. Nepenthes are really inexplainable plants. You can't really predict things from their behavior. Take my rafflesiana for example: it made a pitcher three times its 'regular' size and I didn't even gave it special care. Maybe they like it some way and maybe they don't. Right now I'm taking some observations from my ventricosa; it's producing three pitchers on which two are dangling in mid air and one is sitting on the moss. The one sitting on the moss is growing very very slow and the others are growing fast and big in size. It also depends on the environment your giving it too. A friend once told me that you have to try and create a little environment more like the nepenthes would have in the wild and the plant will obviously grow very very happy. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
    Erick

P.S. The friend I'm talking about is non other than mindmaze [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Mom says: "Its stupid to collect plants that all look alike! Get a new hobie!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we had rainy day after rainy day in our potentially broiling August, the pitchers just got massive on their own. I did not have to do a thing except let them sit in conditions that must remind them of home.

Light, until it cooks them. Soil, if a plant is cramped. Water and misting. Food. Those four have made the pitchers on all my plants get larger. Feeding usually consists of leaving the porch light on.

I bought some large, but sickly looking, plants. Those are probably good for judging what makes pitcher size go up, as mere maturity is out of the way.

The pitcher size on all my lowlanders (all I've got) seems to track the overall conditions. In July we did not get the rain, and I had to do all I could to keep some of them from baking. Growth and pitcher size shot up in August. Even a couple days of really hot dry weather makes the plants look not-so-well.

I would focus on which factor you have trouble controlling. In my case it's the hot weather, possible cold snaps, dry snaps, or too much sun. I've only had to deal with the first and last so far. Having plenty of shade, water, and misting was critical in June-July for me. We had temps in the mid-90s on occasion. But, not right where my neps are kept, fortunately.

I just got some little lowlanders from a certain "dark forest" terrarium company. They needed light so badly that the leaves look like they are growing from a different material now that Florida sun is available. They were not even pitchering. They are now, two weeks since delivery. Our local humidity averaging about 70% over the last couple weeks hasn't hurt either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all:

If one were to measure pitchers that are sitting on sphagnum moss versus those which are not and then get an average, that would be fantastic. However, as I mentioned before all other parameters such as light, temperature and overall humidity must be the same. If somebody's plant is growing in very low humidity. Anything that increases it, such as sphagnum moss will help the plant's development. I don't agree with the fact that Nepenthes are unpredictable. What is unpredictable is all the factors that one must control to get a healthy nepenthes in your terrarium or greenhouse.

Now that we are talking about terrariums, any plant grown in a terrarium would be very useful to get credible results if one were to grow pitchers with and without sphagnum moss, because most conditions there are constant for all parts of the plant.

Agustin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this porbabaly does'nt have much to do with this topic but i remebr that my grandma used to put plastic bags with a spray of water on the fruits of her guava tree , i think she did that to get bigger fruits and it turned out that the fruits did'nt get realy big , just avaerage size but theyw ere still bigger then last years yealed of fruit so porbably humodty has something to do as well .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to try it......
    I'll try my

Bical:in a terrarium 80% humidity, support with sand/peat..getting direct light for
    12 hours...little or no temp fluctuation

Ventrata:Outside, 50-80% humidity, free hanging, 10 hours of shade 4 of direct evening light... 55-85 degrees

Spectabilis:Windowsill 70-90 humidity, Support with sphagnum, filtered light 14 hours a day......69-80 degrees...

I'll see how it does in a month...
    2.0 Burmese Python
    0.0.1 Sandfish
    2.4.1 Leopard Gecko
    1.1.13 Beardies
    0.2 Desert Tortoise Hatchlings
    -Wish list-
    Candoia SP.
    Frilled Dragon
    C.Quadricornis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are probelms with it...but it will be something to do regardless
    2.0 Burmese Python
    0.0.1 Sandfish
    2.4.1 Leopard Gecko
    1.1.13 Beardies
    0.2 Desert Tortoise Hatchlings
    -Wish list-
    Candoia SP.
    Frilled Dragon
    C.Quadricornis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm. this test may not work. nepenthes leaves grow on top of each other. only when a leaf is mostly mature would it split and send out a new one. this can cause some problems. the first pitcher may have differn't enviroment changes than the second one. the second pitcher may grow smaller with the stress of growing the first pitcher. another problem is that the new leaf may be more mature than the last, yeilding bigger pitchers. the new leaf may aslo be higher up and closer to the light. my point is that you have to have the same plants grow pitchers at exactly the same place and time, at the same heights and same maturity levles of the plant, etc. if it isn't, many changes can happen between the long time between the development 2 pitchers. Zongyi (i am sorry to ruin anyones fun here [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/alien.gif[/img] )
    What you want to do is illeagle here in Canada.
    Email does not work! Use PM or yangzongyi@hotmail.com instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's certainly not a laboratory experiment, but I'm not picky, even the most circumstantial evidence will do for me [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast