User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First time cutting

That's the thing. I wasn't asking for a cutting. All I said was "wow, you have cuttings of N. raja!" refering to how large it must have been to have done this. I was simply surprised that he had a N. raja so large.

So, please don't be so hasty in deleting posts, and PLEASE don't pull that little stunt again. Only I have the right to use my name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your post was interpreted as a request for a N. rajah cutting. As I have stated and was edited as I saw fit. Next time think about what your saying in your post before you hit the submit button.

T

PS it's spelled N. rajah

Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to the topic at hand:

I personally like to make a couple vertical slits at the bottom of the cutting. They should be deep enough to reach the tissue that surrounds the hard center core of the stem.

As far as rooting hormone. Make sure it is fresh since it has a fairly short shelf life. You can store unused powder in the freezer to help make it last longer. Also only take out what you need for the cuttings at hand. Don't contaminate the whole bottle by dipping a cutting into it. Another trick I like to use instead of trying to wet the cutting and dip into dry powder.. add a little water to the powder and make a thin slurry. Then you can dab a bit on the cut surfaces with a small brush. It will stick nicely to the stem. Make sure the opening in the potting mix is nice and large so you don't wipe the hormone off accidently.

Usually new growth corresponds to root formation but it is a good idea to check root development very carefully as Neps has suggested.
    Tony

... whatever Tony.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it help at all to make incisions around the area where you expect roots to grow out of, before applying rooting hormones?

I've done this when propagating regular houseplants like Dracaenas (sp?) and umbrella plants and the roots always seem to emerge from the incisions that I made.

I'm planning to soon slice up my N. Sanguinea - I suppose all the info in this thread would apply to Sanguinea as well?

Leo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leo,

Yes the methods here would work with any Nepenthes. I make the vertical slits before applying the hormone. I think doing it in that order will give more contact with hormone. Particularly if you use the liquid kind or mix up a thin slurry with the powdered kind. Here is a picture of some N. gracilis after 4-6 weeks. If you look close you can see the cuts that were made and the roots poking out.
    Tony

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123