What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange?

Finland Capital, in Helsinkis Botanical.....is this Nepenthes..........there reads that is N.x.coccinea...........but in The Savage Garden......it doesn`t look any same......what`s wrong???  
??? x 2

look in the savage garden and see if you can find one that is call N.veitchii. pretty shore that is it with none of my referances around to look threw

right!
wink.gif

Well they are upper pitchers if that helps.. Showing what looks to me like N. rafflesiana, N. mirabilis..It is possible that N. ampullaria is in there also.
Tony

Wes,
  Check out Andenes's post "any of you guys recognize these?" in this forum....Towards the bottom of the thread there is a pic that looks just like the one you posted.  It may be the plant in the botanical garden.
confused.gif

here is one pic of the bloom......maybe that helps tony: Bloom!
it`s little strange............usually Botanicals dont do mistakes in here....................
confused.gif

ps: what is Andenes's post?.......google didn`t find it.

Wes,
Sorry, I should have been more clear...Andenes is a forum member. He posted a topic titled "any of you guys recognize these?" in this (nepenthes) forum. I wanted you to read his post because he posted a pic of something very much like your pic. Look towards the bottom of the post.

Gosh!
wink.gif

now I understand....
smile.gif

Sorry my experience with lowland Nepenthes hybrids is on the limited side. Most pictures you see of N. x coccinea are colorful lower pitchers. Perhaps someone with more experience here can help with regards to upper pitchers. With the number of years these plants have been around I am sure there must be a number of people that have grown the plant big enough to produce upper pitchers.
Tony

Correctemundo schloaty!!!
biggrin.gif
 I do have a pic of my beautiful N. x coccinea and it looks nothing like those pics he has. Actually...if I'm not mistaken those pitchers look like n. maxima's pitchers (my most wanted pitcher!!&#33
wink.gif
. Here's a pic of my n. x coccinea!
pitchers14.jpg

pitchers9.jpg

know if some can I.D. a plant by its flowers. you deserve to brag how good you are.

now the pic Andenes posted of N.coccinea is the only form i have seen of it.

with looking at the pitchers a little bit better i still think N.veitchii lowland

I've actually never seen one of the artificially produced N. x coccinea in the flesh, but have seen plenty in the wild including huge plants with upper pitchers. I'm sure that your plant Andennes is the real thing. I'm equally sure that the upper pitchers shown on the links provided by Weser are N. rafflesiana x something, but who knows what that "something" might be.

wink.gif

strange thing still...........

nice plant Dyflam!
wink.gif
really cool!
I noticed that coccineas and that botanical plant leafs look pretty much same.

Hey,
I notice that many of you seem to have your X Coccinea in a hanging basket. Is that recomended? Mine is sitting my a terrarium, and some of the pitchers are resting on the ground. Is that bad? Do they prefer to hang?
confused.gif

Since N. x coccinea is a hybrid involving N. rafflesiana, is it possible for the upper pitchers of a particular clone to favor the N. rafflesiana parentage?
The Victorian hybrids have always been somewhat confusing for me, as my original impression was that the exact clone made in the 1800s and all cuttings derived from that original plant could be the only plants named thus.
I am aware there are several plants named N. x coccinea that pretty much look the same but have different origins(including the TC plants from the Netherlands), but Rob's comment was the first time I have ever heard of natural plants seen in the wild(if I understood him correctly).
Rob, do you have any pics of those? I suppose you would be penniless if you took apicture of every wild Nepenthes plant you ever saw, lol.

Regards,

Joe

The pic of Dyflam's n. x coccinea is real different from my coccinea just by looking at the lid: notice that regular coccineas have flat looking lids but Dyflam's coccinea has a a round kind of lid (sort of like the raff) and the peristome is totally wrong (its very wide and green
confused.gif
) mine are all red.

Back