Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interesting hybrid...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not focused on hybrids too heavily yet. I would gather from what I have seen so far that the fangs in hamata and other radical peristomes are also fairly recessive much like the fangs in bicalcarata if used in crosses where the other parent lacks that feature. With some fairly complex crossing you might be able to bring those traits out again but it would take some pretty fancy breeding and large populations to really select for the best features. Breeding is also compounded by the male/female thing.

The lowii x veitchii don't look like a whole lot yet. They are clearly that hybrid when you look at them. (will see if I can get some pics up). I would expect they need to be fairly mature to really show their potential. Particularly because veitchii doesn't really start developing nice peristomes until it's fairly large. And it is the upper pitchers from lowii that have the features we are looking for. Have a look at the back cover of Savage Garden and you will see that plant of lowii x ventricosa. Only the upper few pitchers really start showing much of the lowii influence on a fairly good sized plant.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One can never be too sure of what a hybrid will look like when sowing hybrid seed. Sometimes, germination may be very scarce and at other times quite good. Also, the individual plants may vary considerably as they grow depending on what genes are dominant in each seedling. Speed of growth may also be affected. When you get a "winner" in the bunch, it is always pleasing after waiting years to see how the adult plants look. It is always fun to give it a try. Certain times you can get excellent "hybrid vigor" and wind up with a plant with larger pitchers than either of the parents. Have fun.

Kim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen many diferent bicalcarata hybrids , and yes the fangs are usually reduced to little stubs . One of my favourites is rafflesiana x bicalcarata , the fangs are nearly 1cm , BUT it is very sensitive to the cold .
    Michael Pascall

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geoff Mansell in Queensland, Australia is very big on hybrising Nepenthes. He has a web site which I'll dig up if anyone is interested.

From what I have heard Trashy is right and extreme characteristics tend to cancel each other out. For example inermis and hamata would probably produce quite a boring hybrid as the peristomes are so opposite.

I think something like veitchii and hamata would produce something quite cool, or lowii, which has quite rigid almost woody pitchers, and dubia or inermis.
    Talangensis and jacqulineae?

I have seen aristolochiodes crossed with something (can't remember what it was though?) and it wasn't a very attractive plant.
    I have a raff x clippeata which I expect will look excellent but it is still small and has no pitchers yet.

Cheers, FB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123