What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting hybrid...

Nepenthes aristolochioides X N. lowii

Both of their bodies have..... [/I]incredibly unique structure... I can't imagine that one or the other would have stronger dominace over that characteristic... I think it might look like a clipeata body, or maybe more like a sanguinea...

The opening would probably look like sanguinea too... slanted and gaping... I dunno...

Is there a such thing?

Try Truncata x Merrilliana! I think I may try to create that hybrid myself and earn my name in Nep history.

Hi.. I have been reading up a little bit on Nepenthes hybrids lately.
Its quite possible that two exotic parents can lead to a plain jane mirabilis pitcher child (no offense mirabilis growers, i have one too). And some hybrids just "don't work". For example, its possible that the aristo. (i can't spell it yet) might have a recessive gene that the lowii also has, which might make the child grow even slower (is that possible?) than the lowii. Just some thoughts. I am also going to try my hand at Nepenthes seeds, hybrids, etc, but I just want everyone to know that not everything goes perfectly for every combination.

smile.gif

Pat

PS: I would like to try to cross campanulata with a few other plants.
smile.gif

Offtopic Question: How long can I store Nepenthes pollen in the fridge? Woudl it be better in the freezer? Just curious>

Pat

Pollen is stored in the freezer in foil packets according to D'Amato.

One of my fantasy Neps would be hamta x bicalcarata if it were possible to have the fangs and solid red color of bical "red trap" and the pitcher size and sharp toothed peristome of hamata (or even macrophylla/edwardsiana) I suppose edwardsiana would be the easier cross with it's natural red color but just to have a full "toothy mouth" with giant pitchers would just be killer! At least to me it would!
biggrin.gif

I don't even know that such a high/low cross could even work out genetically. Are there ever hybrids that just don't work and the plant is just ill and never pitchers or grows well?

Inermis is another one that is really out there...

ooohhh I likve Inermis! If anyone knows there to get a baby plants or a cutting for somthing under 10 dollars please tell me via pm!

I dont think you can get one for under ten dollars...

Swords: Yes, that's what I was trying to say, but I used the wrong example.

Pat

I would love this: (alata x campanulata) x campanulata.. Hopefully the second cross with campanulata would bring back most of the distinctive pitcher shape, and retain some of alata's growing characteristics.. Just a dream.. :-D

Pat

Well if we are going for exotic crosses we might want to ask Tony what his lowii x vetchii hybrids look like. If they have the best characteristics of both parents I bet they are quite odd looking indeed.

Hmm....lowii X biclar. X hamata...just think of it, fangs, hair things, and scary spikes. Killer nep dudes!

N Inermis x bicalcarata x hamata would be even better, a toilet,with fangs, and sharp teeth, its like a torture toilet!

Hybrids with bicalcarata very seldem have fangs (I have read this in Charles Clarke's books)

I would be interested in N x kinabaluensis (or rajah x edwarsiana)

------------
aaaaaahhhhhh : of course N. rajah x villosa !!!!!!!!!!!!

I can bring ya'll back pictures of Tony's Veitchii x Lowii! Hehehe!
biggrin.gif
I didn't reallt have tons of time that day to stay at his G-house as I had to go to my parent's friend party.
sad.gif
But next time I'll take closer looks.
smile.gif

I have not focused on hybrids too heavily yet. I would gather from what I have seen so far that the fangs in hamata and other radical peristomes are also fairly recessive much like the fangs in bicalcarata if used in crosses where the other parent lacks that feature. With some fairly complex crossing you might be able to bring those traits out again but it would take some pretty fancy breeding and large populations to really select for the best features. Breeding is also compounded by the male/female thing.

The lowii x veitchii don't look like a whole lot yet. They are clearly that hybrid when you look at them. (will see if I can get some pics up). I would expect they need to be fairly mature to really show their potential. Particularly because veitchii doesn't really start developing nice peristomes until it's fairly large. And it is the upper pitchers from lowii that have the features we are looking for. Have a look at the back cover of Savage Garden and you will see that plant of lowii x ventricosa. Only the upper few pitchers really start showing much of the lowii influence on a fairly good sized plant.

Tony

One can never be too sure of what a hybrid will look like when sowing hybrid seed. Sometimes, germination may be very scarce and at other times quite good. Also, the individual plants may vary considerably as they grow depending on what genes are dominant in each seedling. Speed of growth may also be affected. When you get a "winner" in the bunch, it is always pleasing after waiting years to see how the adult plants look. It is always fun to give it a try. Certain times you can get excellent "hybrid vigor" and wind up with a plant with larger pitchers than either of the parents. Have fun.

Kim

I have seen many diferent bicalcarata hybrids , and yes the fangs are usually reduced to little stubs . One of my favourites is rafflesiana x bicalcarata , the fangs are nearly 1cm , BUT it is very sensitive to the cold .

Geoff Mansell in Queensland, Australia is very big on hybrising Nepenthes. He has a web site which I'll dig up if anyone is interested.

From what I have heard Trashy is right and extreme characteristics tend to cancel each other out. For example inermis and hamata would probably produce quite a boring hybrid as the peristomes are so opposite.

I think something like veitchii and hamata would produce something quite cool, or lowii, which has quite rigid almost woody pitchers, and dubia or inermis.
Talangensis and jacqulineae?

I have seen aristolochiodes crossed with something (can't remember what it was though?) and it wasn't a very attractive plant.
I have a raff x clippeata which I expect will look excellent but it is still small and has no pitchers yet.

Cheers, FB

Back