What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4" CPU fan for highland tank

I took one of the 4" fans out of my metal halide reef canopy (unused at the moment anyway) and put it in my highland terrarium but where should I aim it?
Should I set it on the floor and aim at the ceiling? Blwoing diagonally from one corner to the opposite corner?
I have a tray of water with eggcrate over it so the plants sit above a pool of water and right now the fan is laid face down on the eggcrate aimed at the water (It's secure and can't fall in) and blowing on the waters surface. causing a slight upward breeze from beneath the plants-hopefully the waters surface agitation will add humiditirty to the swirling air. ad simulate air blowing "up" a mountainside??

For those of you with fans, what are you doing with them?

Thanks!

My fan is a squirrel cage design so it blows air all around 360 degrees so I placed mine in the corner, if yours is a CPU fan i would palce it level with the palnts to blow air around and through the palnts leaves and pitchers, thsi would really cirulate the air AROUND THEM, and that would give you 100% mold restance.

I was thinking of that but I was wondering if that would drive off humidity from the plants?

If you could, put it level with the water... That way you have the air swooshing across the water's surface evaporating the water, and grabbing cold air if you put ice in there at night...

funny... I put mine at the very top... because my chord isn't long enough to get to the bottom!
wow.gif

It has so far worked.

I think it important to remember that in a confined space, air is going to move in the entire terrarium no matter WHERE you aim it.

I personally prefer not to have it aimed at my plants as it has stripped nectar off the nepenthes, and dew off the sundews... so I keep it up high.

I trust you already have fans externally on your canopy? colling the canopy itself might go a long way towards cooling the tank.

All good suggestions. I'm only using the fan to add a bit of air movement (for a 4" fan it's pretty strong&#33
wink.gif
and a bit of a boost to the humidity in the tank. It stays at OK temps during the day and at night I run the AC/ultrasonic humidifier and get the temps down to 50-52*F between midnight and 8AM. So this is only to add a bit of extra air movement during the day (but I will leave the fan on all the time).

My fan reaches the bottom cos I built my own 4ft tall, 2ft wide and 2 ft deep enclosure from 2"x2" wood frame, a piece of clear plastic drop cloth and plexiglass from homedepot. The front glass opens on a hinge just like a house door so the cord goes in right at the bottom.

A Stirling engine fan (kit on the Internet for one that will run off your body heat is $8) would spin in direct relation to the temperature in the tank, and it doesn't need external power--just mount it near the heat source. And it won't simulate a hurricane.

I don't guarantee that this will work, but the idea is pretty cool!

Steve

Say! That sounds pretty cool!

I'll have to do a search on that!

Back