What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speaking of drool...

Hi. My nep. ventrincosa is literally drooling! nector is trickling down the pitchers and dripping on the floor! is this normal? thanks
Spectabilis73
biggrin.gif

I've seen my Ventrata (ventricosa x alata) and Wiglyana/Morganiana (similar to the Coccinea hybrid) drooling. In the very hottest part of summer (late August) my bicalcarata was also making a wet and somewhat whitish "snot" on the peristome which dripped inwards towards the fluid. It's almost gross to have plants that produce their own phlem!
biggrin.gif

N. khasiana does this on my West windowsill too. I am always cleaning up sticky puddles ;x
T

Having N. Truncata and N. Ventricosa, droplets of nectar always form on the rim and gradually sliding down the pitchers.

I like my Neps to make excess nectar because....I like to taste it! It's so yummy! Like a melted lollipop!
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I like my Neps to make excess nectar because....I like to taste it! It's so yummy! Like a melted lollipop![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Oh, boy.
wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nepenthes gracilis @ Oct. 18 2002,12:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I like my Neps to make excess nectar because....I like to taste it! It's so yummy! Like a melted lollipop!
smile.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
for real? canI really eat the nectar?! that would be cool.....but if I got a craze for it, I would start eating whole plants!ROFL!....really, can I?thanks.

Spectabilis73

so... I guess it is normal.
biggrin.gif

spectabilis73 now what would be better having the plant around for a while or a midnight snack and no more plant

I just like the taste of it.
smile.gif
It kinda freaks people out who visit to see my Neps. and then me tasting the nectar off of my fingers!

ok nep.g lay off the teasting for a while i just went around to all my nep. and there all dry. i didn't get a lolli pop
sad.gif

I've tasted a bit of truncata nectar once. I only had the tiniest drop though, as I wasn't sure if it was poisinous or not. I guess I'll have more of the many globules of nectar on my large truncata pitchers then
smile.gif

I told my girlfriend one night last summer that I was gonna taste the nectar while I was doing some watering and she was not too enthusastic about the idea. Her reply was something like "you go ahead, I'll get poison control on the phone."
I tried it anyway (a very tiny amount on the end of a finger touched to my tongue) but it didn't taste like anything to me but then I've been a smoker since I was in 6th grade and my tastebuds are pretty much gone for subtle tastes.
After seeing the real thick slimey stuff I don't think I'd taste that, like I said it looked like phelm so, no way!

That probably wasn't nectar, most likely a form of mold that was feeding OON the nectar secretions.
O, BTW, I find the most tastiest neps to be:
N.Truncata
N.Clipeata
the hybrid Veitchii x Truncata
N.Ventricosa

They are in order from MOST tastiest to LEAST tastiest.

sorry guys, but my mom won't let me eat some...drool...droooool
tounge.gif
I start drooling myself. lol drooool
tounge.gif
drool
tounge.gif
drooool!
tounge.gif
(whith tounge hanging out) drooooooolllll
tounge.gif
wah! (starts crying like a baby) waaaaaaah
sad.gif
wahhaha
sad.gif
waaaaaaaaah. just kidding, I wouldn't cry over something like that
tounge.gif

You could always be sneeky and eat some as a midnight snack
smile.gif
. I had some more nectar yesturday. It was pretty sweet, but then it started to get wierd, so I decided I probably wouldn't make it a part of my usual diet.
smile.gif

I just tried a verry little taste of it...but my parents had to wach. they were talking about it and my mom said, "you shouldn't eat nectar off of a pitcher that has rotting flesh in it." my dad then said, "no, he ate some off of one that didn't have anything "rotting" in it." then I said, "Well, I did eat it off of one that has a rotting fly, and maybe an ant in it."
biggrin.gif
for real, I did eat some. I did taste kinda sweet... are you guys joking about this? Is it really poisinus? because I just ate some...I am kinda feeling sick...braah!(sounds of being sick.)j/k I shouldn't make sounds like that cause it is a rule that you can't make those sounds
biggrin.gif

It is not poisonous. I just like to taste it to watch people's reactions. It is not at all harmful to you, well unless of course you were a fly drinking it!
biggrin.gif

My xRokko is drooling onto the side of the pot. I think I'll go lick the lid
smile.gif

Nep G., now that you've licked neps, its time to move on to Dews!

Ha! I might as well lick the snot that comes out of my nose if I am going to lick a drosera leaf!
tounge.gif

Back