What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi,

just as a note, before someone does get it wrong. It is no question at all that Phill shipped this plants being sure they are N. argentii. He is a very nice guy from my experience and of course won't ever do other. Very small Nepenthes being so similar to each other, it is often impossible to tell what species it is. Only after some years the real species may be seen. Of course none of us would wait that time before ordering a new species
smile.gif
I'm absolutely sure we'll work out a good solution with Phill! To avoid further irritations and having people getting a wrong impression of him it may be best to delete this thread from the board!? (Tony?)

Jaochim

I agree with you 100% Tamlin!  You would be hard pressed to find a more dedictated and generous CPer than Phill.  Although it is obviously a mix up on the species I am sure you will have just as much enjoyment growing it.  N. sibuyanensis is a wonderful plant with big bulby pitchers and fat peristomes!

Here is a picture of a 6" diameter plant with 2"tall pitchers.. and it's still a baby too!

NsibuyanensisBE4CR.jpg

(ah Joachim posted while I was posting)
I don't think we need to lock the thread. I don't see that anyone is putting down or attacking Phill. I believe we are all aware that unfortunate and unintentional mistakes happen and with very young Nepenthes it is very easy to do. I hope noone here feels like Phills character is in question!

Tamlin, just like you said i would charish the plant no matter what it was given to you as a gift from a friend.

You know after reading this thread and comments like "Argentii is hard to distinguish as a seedling" and such I will laugh so hard if you're all fooled and it turns out to be Argentii.
biggrin.gif
We'll just have to wait and see what it is!
smile.gif

ahh I should clarify.. When I say hard to distinguish as a seedling I mean when they are 1cm wide. By the time a plant is 5cm wide you can usually tell differences enough to determine what a plant isn't.. maybe not what it is necessarily. Based on the size descriptions of Tamlin and Joachims plants they are plenty large enough to determine they are not N. argentii.

Tony

Darn..thought I had something.
tounge.gif
smile.gif
O well since it is a Sib it truly is a beautiful plant. I have wanted one and will get one soon!.
smile.gif

Phill is in the process of moving house and is really busy right now.  However, he's very concerned about this situation and he and I will work together to make good on it.  Tamlin, Joachim, and anyone else who has received one of these doubtful plants will be receiving a replacement plant in the spring.   I think it's the best we can manage.
confused.gif

As to deleting this thread, well I for one believe that one of the best features of this forum is that the ability to post photographs helps allow informative dicussions.  Otherwise it could be years before we knew about such a situation, which I'm sure is something no-one wants!    
smile.gif

Hi Rob,

many thanks for your help!

As bringing up the question of deleting this thread I want to comment on this, because I made very bad experience with similar situations (being a mod. in the German CP-forum). Not all who do read these threads are long enough involved in this business to realize, that there is always a small risk of getting wrong labeled plants when grown from seed at very young age and being new to cultivation. This is not a problem at all, because all the sellers I do know, do sort this out after they realize it. Some Nepenthes only turn out to be other than initially thought after some years of growth, so it may take some time to realize the errors made (i.e. wide spread and wrong labeled examples are N. clipeata or N. pilosa). So getting threads like this one wrong is quite easy for the not so experienced reader and a bad reputation of the seller affected might be the result - and sadly this does happen from my experience. To make it even worse, bad rumours do spread quite fast :-(

Phill is a very nice guy and I'm quite sure he'll have records of whom he sold this clone to. So he'll for sure sort it out with all who are affected and there is no real need for publishing this. - Just my opinion.

Joachim

I would like to comment on the deleting suggestion. I understand how some would want to remove this post to help avoid damaging a man who obviously loves these plants and made an understandable yet unfortunate error. However I think it is important to note that may unregistered users and those who are only casual memebers read these boards and I would hate for them to have read only half way through this post and never get to see all the testimonials and the solutions. I see the potential for deleting it as being more damaging since rumours (and we all know there are rumours) will then be able to go unchecked and there will not be the current testiment to Phill and the quality/reliability to his plants that this post has become.

I must say that I agree with Maehem.  I would also like to add that I believe that this thread should be left as a good example of how to handle this sort of situation.  There are so many bad examples to be seen.  It makes me feel good to be a part of this CP community when I see a difficult problem such as this handled not only with level headedness, but compassion for all parties involved.

Back