What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transplanting

I am about to transplant my n. alata and wonder if anyone has any hints on what not to do and how to seperate all the little ones in the pot. It is in a 8" pot I believe and is about 16" tall, about to come out of the pot. I am wondering what size pots to go with for the "mother" plant and the little ones. It is a very healthy plant and with the crumy weather coming my way in the next day or two, it would be a good iside project. thanks for all the help.

Hey bud,
   What do you mean by "little ones?"  Are they separate plants, or just basal shoots (little plants from the base of the mother)?
    I ask because if they are part of the mother plant, instead of actual separate plants, when you separate them from the mother you will have to treat them as cuttings instead of just potting them up.  I haven't cut alata myself, but I pretty sure it roots easily (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one).
   In general, though, this is how I re-pot neps (when I'm not separating basal shoots):
    First, I don't like to turn the plant upside down, because the pitchers will loose their fluid, usually all over me (yuck!
wink.gif
), so I use a long pointy thing (srew driver, skewer, whatever) to stick into the drainage holes and gently try to pry the whole mess of medium up.  Then, when all the medium is loosened, I gently pry it from the pot, so the whole root ball is still covered in the medium.  Place in new pot, and fill in the extra space with more medium.  Done.
    That said, I would think an 8" pot should be more that larege enough for a 16" nep.  Are you just interested in re-potting in order to get the "little ones" out?

it is acutally a 6" pot and this nep is about ready to burst, not really, but it is time for a new home. I haven't really looked at the "little" ones as closely as I should, and I don't really want to do any cutting, so maybe I'll just repot the entire thing. thanks for all the hints...

Back