What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Hamata &/or Lowii owners out there?

I just got my first order of Nepenthes by mail of course I couldn't resist getting my two faves: N. hamata and N. lowii.

While I know they like cool nights (an AC and fan aimed at the terrarium and./or humidifier works just awesome for any of you aspiring highlanders) there's not a lot written about em online or in the books I have. Is there anything special care wise you folks can tell me about them other than humidity and cool nights? How fast do they grow?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Hi, I grow both lowii and hamata. I haven:t had any luck with growing hamata, I:m not sure if its me, or if it is because of the shipping damage. But I do have a pair of lowiis, and they are very easy to grow for me so far. They grow pretty slow, mine has only made one pitcher so far, but it seems like a tough plant. My terrarium has days of 27C down to 16C at night (60F I think).

How big is your lowii? Good luck with it.

Pat

Moist, cool with bright light. 85 during the day max, 60 at night. 60-70% humidity (higher is ok as long as temps are not high and air circulation is good). Potting mix should hold a fair amount of moisture but also drain well. I have grown both species in pure NZ sphagnum and in blends of coconut husk chips,perlite and chopped NZ sphagnum. They have done equally well in either.

Hamata is a fairly rapid grower once it is established. Lowii is one that just plugs along but once it hits a certain size it will show noticable increases with each new leaf/pitcher.
Tony

are hamata expensive, because im thinking about getting one.

Cool!

My lowii is about 2-3" across with 1" or so pitchers and the hamata is about 3-4" with huge pitchers (for the size of the plant) the pitchers are bigger than the plant itself.

They both arrived on Monday (along with a N. fusca) and in what I would say is great shape (far better than the neps I get at the overpriced orchid shop or the Lyndale Gardens plant shop). I'd say 0 shipping damage at all, no torn leafs, dessicated pitchers or anything like that.

Any idea how long it may be before they recover from their journey and start growing again if I give them everything they need?

Thanks again!

Tim, the price of the hamata is a "lot" when you compare it to the other plants on most growers lists but when you compare it to a nepenthes bought at an orchid shop (where I buy them occasionally) it's actually very reasonable as retail outlets would ask for your left arm for a hamata (they don't even have them). I got a 3" hamata (with great 3-4" pitchers) for $55 (I won't annouce where I got it but you can email or private message me and I'll tell you where I got it). Whereas the orchid shop near me is asking $75 for a simple ventricosa cutting! I have seen hamatas for much more so I feel lucky! I'm gonna be a mailorder nepenths man from now on, the quality and savings is just too good to go back to the burnt pitcherless plants at the orchid shop!

Back