What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building Highland Terrarium in Near Future

hey, in the next year or so i am thinking of building a highland terrarium, i dont know what other neps or any other plants to put in it. my main one will be Rajah

and i am un sure what else top plant in there to be friends with it so the rajah can have someone to talk to
smile.gif

hehe, if any of yall can give a suggestion on what i could plant in there that can tolerate rajah conditions and isnt pricey, that would be great

NepG i am sure you know which kind =D

i am thinking of a 20 or 25 gallon terrarium.
THanks

First off buddy I suggest don't go with Rajah as your main priority right now. It is alittle demanding and I prefer to start you off slightly easier. Almost ALL highlands prefer to be palnted in Pure Spahgnum moss. So let's start you off with, ohh let's say a regular highland.......how about N.Burbidgea or N.Maxima, or maby even (if you think you can handle it
smile.gif
) one of the Ultrahighlands.
smile.gif
 I would get a 10-20 gallon tank for now as they will be happy for a long while. Next you'll have to get quite abit of spahgnum to accomodate the tank and plants. and this will be step one for tonight. We'll move onto set 2 tommorow.
smile.gif

And for a teaser tonight..............;)

9932873-bb08-01600120-.jpg

9932874-0eb9-01600120-.jpg

Find the 3 pitchers. The largest one ( near the bottom stands out like a sore thumb. I like to joke around with people.
*Nep.G. smiles at Stefano, then climbs up to Mt.Kinabalua*

(Edited by nepenthes gracilis at 9
wow.gif
0 pm on May 8, 2002)

what what?

all the matrerials i have is schultz sphagnum peat moss, LFS, and perlite

thats it, and thats all that i think i need, i need to buy schultz orchid mix for the bottom layer

and i need live sphagnum moss, but you got me hooked up with soem
smile.gif

why will i need alot of sphagnum?

also did you get the live spahgnum yet?

OMG YOUR RAJAH,

you just made me want it MORE
tounge.gif

poooooo!!!!!!!

ok first what i Think i need is a 20 or 25 gallon tank. now next i need lots of sphagnum peat moss, schultz style and perlite, i got LFS, and i need orchid mix from szhultz

i got the air bubbler and cup of water.

now what is set 2? =D

im bookmarkign this topic to refer to it when i am ready
smile.gif

Stefano,

I think that 2 highland plants that you should definetly get are hamata and lowii. (Who would want a rajah anyway, besides NG that is?!?
wink.gif
) They are definitly two of my favorites. They probably aren't that hard anyway, as long as you keep the humidity high and the night temps fairly low. I'll definitly get those two when I can provide them with the right conditions.

Joel

Well, both of those are well over 40 dollers each. rajah at cpjungle is around 34 dollers

and thats probably where i will order it from, i will proly throw in a ventrosica so both of em can chill at night and talk during the day, since itll be boring most of the time cus all they do is sit there, LOL

maybe, MAYBE a Iowii, cus i just saw it is around less than 40 dollers

maybe inermis or N. campanulata ( yea right)

Nepenthes aristolochioides is a nice one.
Not sure what else, rajah is like my #1 to plant in there

any other suggestions?

Don't Heliamphora do well in ultrahighland? Lots of sun, no? They both live beyond the clouds...

I think Nepenthes Tentaculata would be a good candidate( if you can find it cheap that is).

Heliamphora would do well with VERY bright light as the highlands like!
smile.gif
Joel, I'll just be blowing raspberry's at you when my Rajah has pitchers the size of your head. :cheesy: Campanualata is a lowland so it would die in a highland setup. Inermis is OK as well as Lowii. Actually yeah you could go with lowii. It does MUCH better with lows in the 55-60F range at night. (not as picky as Rajah.) Someday in the future maby i can get you a Rajah Stefano.
smile.gif
As Rajah is KNOWN to make some basal rossettes. This was step 2.1 :biggrin:

NG,

Considering that rajah takes FOREVER to make basketball sized pitchers (i.e. we'll both be dead by the time that happens), I think I'm fairly safe from your raspberry.
smile.gif
(Oh, did I mention that my merrilliana is making its 3rd pitcher now?
wink.gif
)

Anyway I think hamata is still the coolest! Those teeth are so bad ***! I would also love to have some heliamphora as well (heterodoxa and neblinae are my favorites) , but they need it really cold.
sad.gif

I'm gonna see if I can get an orchidarium (when I get the money from selling plants on ebay that is) so that I can grow all my highlanders there
smile.gif
Then we'll see who has the coolest highlanders! >=] hehehe

Joel

(Edited by mindmaze128 at 10:38 am on May 9, 2002)

Uhh not nessacarily. My Rajah is within 1 year of being mature belive it or not and it should take baout 5-10 years to get basketball sized pitchers.

Are you sure about that NG? I've heard of ppl growing this plant for 10 years and they don't have  BB sized pitchers yet. I'm no expert, but I think that rajah has to be one of the slower growers. But you're the rajah guy... Do you believe that your rajah will get that big in 5 years? (speaking realistically, not too optimistic). I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just a little inquisative, that's all.

Joel

Stefano:

Why don't you put alata or ventricosa in your terrarium? If you're just starting out with Nepenthes, it will be very discouraging to see (possibly) all of your plants dying. If you mess up with these two species, they will most likely survive. They also grow quickly, and pitcher profusely. Just an idea....

Patrick

N. sanguinea is also a good plant for a highland setup. Macfarlanei would also do nicely if your looking for a little more challenge but nothing too difficult. Both of these are usually on the less expensive side also.

Tony

Hi,

I will second Tony's statement concerning N. sanguinea. It is an easy species which grows very nice and is also quite quick.

N. macfarlanei is one of the most difficult species for me but this may be due to the clone I am growing. Bare in mind N. macfarlanei produces very looong tendrils. A 10cm diameter plant produces easily 20cm tendrils.

N. lowii from my experience is no beginners plant. It is damanding and it is very slow growing. From ex. TC to 20cm diameter it took nearly three years.

I want to throw in N. carunculata and its relatives which stay compact for some years befor beginning to climb. Other good plants are N. ramispina with its nearly black pitchers and the closely related N. gracillima.

As a beginner in my opinion you should go for larger plants even when they are more expensive. A 2cm plant may die in few hours under conditions a larger plant is able to grow in...

Just my 2 cents.

Joachim

(Edited by Joachim at 2:47 am on May 10, 2002)

Joel, one of the reason's many Rajah growers have not seen basket ball sized pitchers on their 10 year old palnt is because they are not growing it correctly. A suvey has shown that cultivated Rajah produce large pitchers early and amture MUCH faster IF they get cool daytime temps with the occasional heat wave. EX: mine gets baout 65-70F ALL day long with the ocasional heat wave which i make happen about 1 every month by shutting the terrarium lid then whipping the fan on high and expelling all heated air. But that is the survey. BUT, it IS true that my palnt is ALMOST mature (capable of flowering.) And I SHOULD have nice sized pitchers in about 5 years then BB sized ones in 10+year soo all I have to wait is a minimum of about 15 year and a MAX of I would say 30 years. But it SHOULDN't take that long as I have it in "super ideal" Ultrahighland conditions.

"...My Rajah is within 1 year of being mature..."

Ähmmm...
You mean that your Nepenthes rajah will propably show first mature signs in one year, aren't you ?
The N. rajah from Johannes Marabini took ten year from a TC plant to the first flower.
But the pitcher size is still smaller than 20cm.

http://home.t-online.de/home/jmarabini/kultur1.htm

Martin

yeah, no offense NG, but I think your letting youthful optomism move you along here...

Besides, does it really matter how big the pitcher is? Isn't the object to grow a rare and gorgeous plant? I mean, there is probably a Pothos vine in every other house in america, but you have a plant that is probably only in a few hundred... I think that is cool enough in itself. (and the fact that you have not killed it, even more so. I have been doing this for a while and I still dont feel confident enough to have a plant like that!) Give me a lowlands any day... heat and humidity are staple products where I live! THAT I can handle!

Ram, didn't you ever see that Jim Carrey movie Me, Myself and Irene?

nope... I heard it really stunk... so I didnt go see it... what am i missing...

hmm, so the rajah idea is scratched out, ive been with neps for like 2-3 months now

i have learned alot on them and i like me letting my lowlands grow outside

so maybe a alata and ventrosica and sanguina

Back