What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growth Question

Hello Everyone, I have a question about basal growth (growth from the bottom of the plant) and new growth that is at the top of the stem. I know that Basal growth usually grows like a normal young plant producing lower pitchers. But when you have growth from the nodes up high like when you trim the plant and growth starts on the top, will they produce smaller leaves like the basal shoots or grow the same as the original growth (same leaf and pitcher size + upper pitchers if the plant had them before)?... Same goes for stem cuttings when growth starts on the node, will they grow like new baby plants or diameter of the old plant?

Thank You!
Joe

It will take some time for new growth from the nodes to get to the same size as the original plant.
T

But is it faster grwoing than basal growth?
Thanks, Joe

umm I guess. Shoots from the base will probably take longer to get to the size of the original plant. But if you chop the top off they will grow much faster and will probably grow as big as the original in the same amount of time as a new growth from a bud near the top of the stem.
T

Basal shoots will emulate growth as though it is a new plant. However, being that it feeds off the main stem/root system, it will grow much faster than if you had one small plant of the same size planted in the pot. Cuttings that are rooted eventually will grow basal shoots also even though they may be cuttings from the upper pitcher area of plant. When cuttings are rooted they usually revert 20% downward of the plant. In other words, if your plant was 5 feet tall, the cutting at the top would result in growth appearing similar to the four foot length of the plant. Happy growing.

Kim

Back