Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which should I buy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The key issue here, in my humble opinion, is space. N. rafflesiana can get to be very large.
    I have several plants that are 3 or 4 m high. Furthermore, this species tends to get very
    tall before producing basal shoots, which could be a real problem if you're trying to grow it in
    a terrarium. So, unless you've got a greenhouse, or some sort of large enclosure, I
    really recommend gracilis. In particular, there's a nice red clone floating around that is
    very attractive. Here's a link to a picture of it:
    red gracilis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend N. gracillis unless you have a lot of room. N. rafflesiana will stay small for awhile, but it can be a very large plant. N. ventricosa can be a nice first plant. Also, hybrids such as N. x ventrata make for a nice, easy to grow first plant. Good luck.

Kim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Temperature requirements for those plants are somewhat different from my experience. The N. rafflesiana clone I grew did only well when temperatures stayed above 18deg over night. My N. gracilis is harder and even grows well under much colder conditions down to 13deg. But this may strongly depend on the clone you do get.

Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to go against the grain a little bit and recommend rafflesiana unless you have a lot of room. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]. I know that it does in fact get much larger (the raff), but in my experience so far, I have had more problems with the gracilils. It's just a weed. I had one for about a month before it was growing out of my terrarium. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img].

Pat

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a bunch for all the info. all you guys.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12