Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: N. gracillis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long have you had the plant?

Looks to me like you just got it recently and that it was fairly unestablished. Or perhaps was growing in a very humid low light environment. Several of the leaves that have drooped and rolled up a bit show moisture stress. Also appears to me to be some burning from bright light. Notice the high points of each leaf are showing more discoloration than parts that are lower and/or drooped over. What kind of light is it getting?

At this point keep the humidity very high and the potting mix moist but not soggy. Put it in a sealed baggie if need be. Warm temperatures like you have. And indirect light.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got not experience with neps but that looks like mite damage. The deformed tips, plus the fact that you said it spread to some other plants, but not all the other plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Well, I know next to nothing on Neps, but if that where a VFT I'd say that the conditions are too humid. The yellow starting at the base and going to the tip almost always happens when the leaves get almost standing water on them from the condinsation.

You can try letting it dry for a day, or you can keep doing whatever you are doing right now and give the info the others have already asked for [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] That will make it easyer for people to know what your dealing with.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Quote (Tim @ Dec. 08 2002,8:23)
    I've got not experience with neps but that looks like mite damage. The deformed tips, plus the fact that you said it spread to some other plants, but not all the other plants.[/QUOTE]
    if this is the case, those dealing witrh the spreding yellow may wish to place a sundew nest to the plants and see if any little red/black/yellow dots get stuck to it
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is extremely humid in the grow chamber so I don't think it is suffering from moisture stress. Also it gets misted a few times a day because it is next to my tissue culture babies.

Lighting for the 3x3x4 foot chamber is provided by 6 four foot chromo 50s and 2 four foot soft whites. 320watts of florescent light. No plant has complained yet.

It is new, very new, i got it from this site during the sail a couple weeks ago. The growth tip looks good and the leaves aren't deformed really just yellowing and curling over the last few days. It never really had a growth spirt to say it settled in so it may very well be shock if this is what shock looks like.

No the symptoms haven't spread to other plants yet.

thanks all
    joe
    Signature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Um joseph

Are you sure that that's an N gracilis? The leaves look more like they're from an N ventricosa. Not that I'm an expert on this or anything.... it's just those leaves don't look like the ones on my gracilis. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

Also, I believe that the moisure stress Tony was talking about can occur in a humid environment if the root system isn't working well (i.e. the roots have rotted).

Jœl
    http://homepage.mac.com/mindmaze128/...lood forum.jpg
    Joel Martínez
    San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Okay, just to reiterate, I think the plant is TOO wet.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joel - It looks like N. gracilis to me. There are many different forms from various locations so it is possible that it looks different from yours. Plant form does vary.

Tim - It could be mites but I doubt it since it is very new and the damage occured quickly. Burning of the leaves on a newly acquired Nepenthes looks very similiar. The reason why I don't think it is mites is because the damage is uniform over the bulk of the plants where as mite damage is usually not so uniform. Also if you look closely the parts of the leaves that are not horizontal to the light source are not as affected. Nor is the smaller shoot underneath the one overhanging leaf.

Sorry I also don't see where he mentions it spreading to other plants?

Several things here...

Any new Nepenthes should be acclimated to your own growing conditions slowly. Regardless of how it was grown originally. 5days in a dark box is enough so that when it is taken out and put in very bright light (which you have) that it might burn. To compound the problem the plant IS in moisture stress regardless of the high humidity. This is very clear by the drooped and folded down leaves. Particularly evident in the 3 large upper leaves on the taller shoot.

I would suggest...

Giving the plant a good drink of water and let it drain very well. Then putting it in a sealed ziploc on the side of the terrarium where the light is not as bright. Keep an eye on it for any fungus and periodically open the bag briefly. Give it 2-3 weeks and see how it does.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

9. Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast