What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windowsill nepenthes

What would be considered some of the best "Windowsill Nepenthes?"

Where do you live? It really depends.....
Please give a detailed description of the climate
on your windowsill.
Temperature rage (day and night)
humidity
sun (or other light source)
Anything else you can think of. THEN we can recomend something.
wink.gif

N. ventricosa does really well in windowsills. N. alata and maxima would probably work too. You might also be able to get N. truncata going (a couple members here have I think.)

I would agree with both posts. N. alata, N. ventricosa, N. truncata, N. xVentrata are very tolerant plants. BUT your individual growing conditions will greatly determine your success growing Nepenthes on a windowsill.

For example, I live in the Northeast US where Spring, Summer, Fall are fairly humid (we do not have AC which would dry the air significantly). I had a N. truncata grow from a 3 inch plant to over 12 inches in diameter in a 2 year span sitting in my East window. In addition to N. xVentrata and N. khasiana and some others around the house. During the winter the plants did not pitcher so well when the cold dry air and the heat was on in the house. So your local climate as well as heat/cooling systems etc within your house will play a huge role in success and degree of success.
Tony

I live in Ireland and I have a Nepenthes that is N. X ventrata or N. ventricosa and its currently pitchering well even though its the middle of winter. The pitchers don't retain the fluid for very long though.

Its generally low in humidity year long around here even though it rains a lot you never get that "sticky" feel that you get in places like NY and Florida. Probably any nepenthes you get that's not from a specilised nursery is worth a shot, they're generally tough hybrids or species.

Andrew

<<Where do you live? It really depends.....
Please give a detailed description of the climate
on your windowsill.>>

biggrin.gif
Oh I was just thinking in general terms...like it would be nice to just have a list of suggestions, start some discussion
smile.gif

I have never got a Nepenthes to grow in that manner(I live In Nebraska, if it matters). I have not tried putting a humidifier right up to a plant, though.

Regards,

Joe

Several of my Nep. grow on a windowsill. The temps are usually 60-75°F. (if anyones interested,the °symbol is alt+0176, and the ºsymbol is alt+0186°º) usually they get bright to full sun from 9:OO A.M. - 12:OO P.M., then I close the blinds halfway so at least half of the plant is in shade to bright light at one time (while the other half has full sun) it might sound kinda silly, but at least it keeps them from burning...
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif
wow.gif
Also, the humidity is always at least about 60%, but at times it is 90%

(this is off subject, but my terrarium has about 90% humidity)

I grow khasiana, x Judith Finn, ventricosa, fusca, veitchii 'highland', ventricosa x talangensis and a couple sanguinias on windowsills. Sanguinia and ventricosa seem to be the best, but many can grow fine on windowsills. Of course, what temperature your house is will make a very big difference in what plants you can grow easily.

I've grown Nepenthes in some extreme windowsill conditions. While in Illinois, I had all of my Nepenthes on windowsills. In one room (very warm and humid) I had N. rafflesiana giant, N. truncata, N. ventricosa (grew really fast), and some N. x Judith Finns on a West window. In another, cooler, less humid room, I had a N. khasiana growing like a champion. It was always growing larger pitchers, and even flowered. When I moved to Alaska, most of my plants were moved to other kinds of growing setups, but I had four plants on a South window. I had N. sanguinea dark, N. khasiana, N. ventricosa, and N. bongso x maxima. The N. khasiana, and bongso x maxima grew fast and pitchered, but the other two hardly pitchered. Keep in mind, I live in Alaska. That south window had low humidity, almost 20 hours of light (I don't know how many hours of direct sun), and lots of heat. When the day hours started decresing, I had to put them in other setups with my other plants. whew
wink.gif

Back