What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

here are the Nepenthes I grow guess which plant I would say is the hardest/slowest growing.

Nepenthes
Lowland
N. alata
N. albomarginata "spotted”
N. ampullaria
N. ampullaria "green"
N. bicalcarata
N. campanulata
N. clipeata
N. gracilis "typical"
N. gracilis “nigrapurpurea”*
N. hirsuta
N. insignis*
N. merrilliana
N. mirabilis
N. mirabilis ‘echinostoma’
N. northiana
N. rafflesiana
N. rafflesiana ‘Elongata’
N. rafflesiana 'giant'
N. reinwardtiana
N. sumatrana
N. tobaica*
N. truncata
N. veitchii lowland

Highland
N. alata Highland red Striped
N. aristolochioides (Sumatra)
N. so (Gunung Merapi, Sumatra)
N. burbidgeae
N. densiflora (Sumatra)
N. diatas (Bandahara)
N. ephippiata (Gunung Rajah, Borneo)
N. eustachya red/purple
N. eymae
N. fallax (formerly stenophylla)
N. glabrata
N. gymnamphora
N. hamata
N. inermis
N. jacquelineae
N. khasiana*
N. longifolia
N. lowii*
N. macfarlanei
N. macrophylla (Gunung Trusmadi, Sumatra)
N. mindanaoensis
N. muluensis
N. ovata (Pangulubao, Sumatra)
N. pilosa
N. rajah
N. ramispina*
N. sanguinea
N. sibuyanensis
N. singalana
N. spathulata
N. spectabilis*
N. talangensis (Gunung Talang, Sumatra)
N. tentaculata
N. veitchii
N. ventricosa
N. villosa

Hybrids
N. x bicalcarata x ?*
N. x Coccinea
N. x Judith Finn
N. x lowii x ventricosa red
N. x macfarlanei x ventricosa
N. x (mirabilis gold x mixta superba)
N. x mirabilis x Otraniama*
N. x spathulata x maxima
N. x spathulata x spectabilis
N. x Superba
N. x thorelii x (x ventrata x tobaica)
N. x veitchii x lowii
N. x Velvet
N. x Ventrata
N. x Wrigleyana*
N. 6 unknow hybrids

It is the.....N. ampullaria "spotted” if you can believe that. It has made one, 1/2 inch pitcher in over a year and a half.

So what is your hardest/slowest growing

thanks
-Jeremiah-

In our establishment, which is primarily lowland Nepenthes, the most confounding is N. northiana. Some might say N. merriliana, but for us, with only a few plants, they are easy but slow. They definitely have a long root system, and it must be accommodated to grow, but northiana is just plain difficult! Our northianas are in bright shade (same as Phalaenopsis orchids) and the humidity has not dropped below 70 percent all summer long (or ever, as I recall). They are watered with RO. They are potted in our typical mix, which contains no perlite. They get misted three times a day, yet never enough to allow the mix to get soggy. I would think our conditions are perfect, but they slowly produce one leaf at a time. The good news is one of the plants' new leaf has the tendril tip starting to hook and swell. Maybe a pitcher!! We anxiously wait to see. If these things weren't so beautiful, I wouldn't bother...but, therein lies the challenge!

Trent

my slowest is the judith finn, then my ventrosica, then truncata, then raafflesiana, then bical, then ampullaria, then mirabilis, then gracilis

from slowest to fastest

and dude you got a ton of neps!!!!!!!

Hi Stefano and others:

I am surprised that your ventricosa and truncata are very slow growers. Mine grow very fast, however, in winter time, they slow down!!. so depending on the conditions that you grow them, you'll get variations in the speed they grow!!

I would say Lowii, macrophylla, Northiana, merrilliana and so on. Another thing, i would like to clarify is when somebody says "the hardest to grow", what does it exactly mean??

Does it mean the slowest to grow?? or does it mean the most difficult to keep it alive??

Lowii for example is a very slow plant, but relatively easy to maintain, as long as the obvious conditions are met!!

Agustin

Hmmm...I would have to say that my truncata puts out leaves the slowest...but they are also observe the greatest increase in size from one to the next, so I guess that means it grows at a medium speed...

My x 'judith finn' and merrilliana put out leaves and pitchers quite readily, but they don't increase in size too much at all. I think this is most observed in the merri....

My tobaica has been slow, but I damaged it's roots a little while ago, which explains that.

But the winner has to be my ampularia. Darn thing put out leaves like a snail, and they also don't increase in size very much.

hmm schloaty so your N. ampullaria is very slow growing also. Do you know how long it usually takes for one leaf with pitcher to be grown?

N. northiana has been very slow for me also about 1 leaf in 2 months but is getting faster.

macrophylla I thought N. macrophylla would be very slow but it is doing about 2 1/2 pitchers ever month which I think is nice and fast.

-Jeremiah-

N. villosa is the slowest I grow second to N. truncata and merrilliana. Even tho N. truncata is slow it is VERY progressive when it does move! N. merrilliana is a mystery plant....very picky in my care and one of the most difficult plants to grow I think. In comparison to N. rajah or N. villosa (which are easy in my opinion) N. merrilliana is hard. N. madagascariensis is tough too. But I hope to have a nice heated lowland chamber in the future. Another slow grower is N. veitchii but since it is getting quite big (around 8 inches across) it is like truncata, slow but progressive.

Fastest: N. Gracilis "NigraPurpurea"
Slowest: N. Truncata, N. Rajah

i would says that my unknown nep hybrid that i got from home depot from gublers . it has'nt grown and inch since i got it . but other wise my slowest growing plant would be my n. ventricosa , it takes sooo long for it to grow and to develop pitchers and leaves . my fastest is my gracilis and its grown so fast that i don't know what to do with it anymore .

Man my toughest and slowest plants have got to be ampularia spotted, truncata, maxima, bicalcarata, khasiana, and the judith finn. In the other hand, my fastes ones are the ventrata, coccinea, rafflesiana and sanguinea
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hmm schloaty so your N. ampullaria is very slow growing also.  Do you know how long it usually takes for one leaf with pitcher to be grown?
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
It's been in conditions it really likes for about 8 months now, and made 5 leaves and 4 pitchers.  The newest pitcher is the first one to gain much size over the previous ones.
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">N. merrilliana is a mystery plant....very picky in my care and one of the most difficult plants to grow I think[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Dustin, this one is easy for me.  What conditions is yours in?  Mine is grown as an ultra-lowlander (over 90 day, over 80 night), humidity is almost always over 80%, it's under 4 fourescent tubes (about 6 or 8 inches?  that's a guess).  I have it growing in a deep pot (I cut the top off of a 2 liter soda bottle.  The pot is about 4 inches in diameter, but about 10 inches deep).  My medium is roughly 1/1/1 LFS/pete/orchid mix (I can't remember if there's any perlite in the mix...I'llsee if I can remember to check tonight).  I keep the medium moist but not wet.  It grows new leaves and pitchers readily for me.  I hope this helps you out!  
smile.gif

I think the trick to N. merrilliana is a very very deep pot and hot days with warm nights. DO NOT RISK SHOCK. I stll have a plant from last October that is pitchering occasionally fromt ransplant shock. The other plant came potted (same source) and pitchers fine and I never bothered the roots. I ahev 3 N. merrilliana's 2 are in the growchamber indoors and 1 I am experimenting with out in the greenhosue climate. We shall see how it goes. Tony has a huge one in his that continues to grow (in winter too but not as well) and pitcher fine. Of course now I have misting capabilities so I think I can get away with m0re intermediate lowlanders too.

Hmmmm....Now that you mention it, Dustin, I did get mine potted. That might explain it. It also got here in about 2 days, so travel time was limmited. I did transplant it once, but I didn't disturb the roots. I may actually need to extend the depth of the pot soon...Good thing the pot I have is clear! I can check for root growth.
I'm also curious to see how that one merri does that you move out into your greenhouse. I've read they really don't like fluxuations in humidity...this will be a good test of that hypothesis. I only have one, though, so no testing for me!

Hello,
I just got into neps a little while ago, and only have a few (N. Alata, N. Ventricosa, N. x Ventrata, N Ventricosa?, and N. Fusca.) So the slowest is definetly N. Fusca.
Kevin

mine slowest plants is Nepenthes Gentle
mad.gif
it haven't made a single pitcher since I got it.... but it is flowerign now
tounge.gif

My slowest neps are northiana, rafflesiana, truncata, N. x tomomi x tiveyi, alata, and rajah. They are from slowest to fastest. For some reason, my rajah grows a bit faster then my alata, but alata is supposed to be easier to grow outside of a terrarium

N. rajah will grow quite fast when young but as it ages to a more mature plant the leaves will need time to develope and thus it will slow down due to a larger leaf structure. But still it is not a slouch!

Wow!, you got 80 diferent species and cultivars? the st.louis botanical gardens only has 3 (that I counted)!

carcinos,
Your raf is slow? That's weird...I just got a couple of rafs (Thanks Tim&#33
wink.gif
, and they have EXPLODED in growth (well, two of them have...the third is hanging on to life by a thread). Maybe because they're young? I don't know, by mine are pretty vigorous.

Wow. My N. ampularia (spotted) grows like crazy. I've had four new pitchers in four months, each one bigger than the last. And they're whoppers, 3" pitchers! It's always working on a new one, and every leaf pitchers. I guess I got lucky, as I don't really know what I'm doing. My slowest grower is N. lowii. I bought a tiny one, literally no bigger than a nickel. After a few months, it's up to quarter size, and at least each new leaf/pitcher is bigger, but man is it slow!

My N. truncata is also slow, but after it's adjustment period, it seems to be speeding up. All my other ones seem to be growing pretty quickly, about a month cycle per pitcher:
N. ventricosa (2)
N. x Holland
N. x Judith Finn (2)
N. maxima x ventricosa
N. x Rokko
N. x Home Depot
N. sanguinea (kinda slow)
N. maxima x albomaringata (kinda slow)
N. maxima (slow after near-fatal adjustment to outside living, but doing much better now.)
N. albomaringata (suprisingly quick)

Back