Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some photos, badly taken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    colinliew,

Throw in a sort-of nasty looking coccinea (from Lowe's -- needed light, space, water, and bugs -- in that order) and an internet photo of a nice fat reddish spotted alata. Then, in my mind, I imagined the unhealthy looking coccinea getting healthy into a spotted alata.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking with it. It may not be a GOOD story...

Thanks for the tips though. I'm always looking for nep info to abosorb. It's such a small subject. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

You must be in the sub-tropics, eh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps it's the angle but the wings in the second picture on your 'spotted alata' don't look quite right. I am guessing it has something else in it...Still very pretty but I would be careful about labeling it N. alata.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We grow it here in south Florida, and during the late summer heat, it produces smaller pitchers.[/QUOTE]

Trent do you suppose that N. Gentle would rather be in highland conditions? My N. fusca likes highland conditions but my other two unknown N. maxima hybrids (#1 "Red" and #2 "Yellow") refuse to pitcher in anything but lowland conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alata doesn't have the generally rounder and curved pitchers inherited from rafflesiana. It's longer and slimmer than the coccinea et al hybrids. At least, that's my way of telling them apart[/QUOTE]

Hold yee horses. Isn't Nep. alata a species and not a hybrid? If so, how does it inherit anything from Nep. refflesiana?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, N. alata is a species (if that's what he has) as is N. rafflesiana.

N. x Coccinea is a hybrid between N. ampullaria x rafflesiana x mirabilis. N. Coccinea has slim red upper pitchers (with wings reduced to ridges) but squat(wide bottomed) lower pitchers with well defined wing hairs and pointed leaves (the tendrils run almost straight out from the pointed leaf apex). The pitchers of the "textbook" Coccinea's are all red except for the lid and persitome which are golden (the peristome will turn red in bright light though).
    The hybrids which make more yellowish green pitchers with varying degrees of squatness and red speckles (often sold labeled as "N. Coccinea") are made with the same hybrid parents as N. Coccinea are named "Morganiana" and "Wriglyana" because they do not exhibit the solid bright red charachterstics of the true Coccinea. I suppose in this sense the names Coccinea, Morganiana and Wriglyana could be considered cultivar names since they all have the same parents and they are simply divided based on degree of pitcher color (and shape).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beagle, I live smack in the tropics, almost directly on the equator.

Tony, you're probably right about the angle, but I don't know much about the spotted alata variety, so I can't tell at this stage.

swords, although I'm growing my x Gentle in lowland conditions, I've had conflicting reports on whether it prefers lowland or highland conditions.

guqin, I phrased that a little badly, I meant alata doesn't have the rounder, tubbier pitchers x coccinea inherits from rafflesiana [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Colin,
    Thanks for the clarification. I was getting a bit confused. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    swords,

One thing I've noticed about my coccinea is that it is a lot less confusing with more light. The pitchers, now, are a deep burgundy, with some tiny yellow flecks occasionally. Before they were reddish with more green. The leaves were spotty. Now they look waxy.

I'll have to check and see how it stacks up to the ideal when it gets light tomorrow.

Thanks for explaining the coccinea, et al, group.

Colinliew,

THE Equator? Neat for neps, eh? I'd guess New Zealand or Australia if this was a game show.

9. Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast