Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some photos, badly taken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, too, like colinliew, live in Singapore and very near the Equator. We have problems trying to get the temperature down here! It is such a pity that we cannot grow highlanders, that are native to our region.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, Colin's just fine, everyone, I'd change my nickname if I could [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Close, Beagle, but I'm afraid you didn't get the Secret Square [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] It is good climate for neps, the problem is finding any! For plants indigenous to the region, they're actually quite difficult to obtain. Also, as guqin mentioned, highlanders are generally out of the question, which is a real pity.

Furthermore, there's no one spot in the house that satisfies all the conditions, to my annoyance. Where there're lots of insects around, it isn't sunny enough, and where there is light, it's rather inaccessible!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Swords and Everyone,
    N. 'Gentle' or 'Korn.bak' seems to prefer intermediate to highland conditions. In winter our greenhouse typically runs about 60 degrees F at night and 85 F during the day. Last winter we had a few nights drop down to about 50 F (outside it was 36F), and it didn't bother them at all. Even the ampullarias and bicals took it, it was only a couple of consecutive nights, and the days were pushing 90F. In winter, we get 7 to 8 inch pitchers on 'Gentle'.
    Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a little more info on N. coccinea: the plants being sold in chain store operations (Lowe's etc.) are tc plants from Belgium. They are labelled coccinea, and most likely, N. coccinea was used as the female parent. Not sure as to what was used for the pollen, but it could very well be an N. coccinea as well. Look at it this way. The seed used to produce the tc clones would be (N. coccinea x N. coccinea). The old original victorian cross was named by James Taplin, and they were all the red color pitchered seedlings from the grex. Some are male and some are female. Like what Swords said, the cross was (mirabilis x hookeriana). This same and subsequent crossing by Taplin resulted in other names; N. paradisae, N. robusta, N. Lawrenciana and Willian Court made the same cross and called it N. Wrigleyana. As far as I know, N. Morganiana is the only true cultivar-a single plant-its female and it was the result of the reciprocal crossing of (hookeriana x mirabilis), which might account for its more extreme tubby look.
    Nepenthes hybrids are fun too!

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trent,

What are the best books or online resources on the history of the nepenthes? I have Savage Garden. That is coming in handy. This language you speak, it confuses me. I'm just a simple caveman... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Savage Garden is a great book. Peter really put a lot of time and effort into it, and it is now "the standard" for how to grow cp. Most historical info is found in back issues of the ICPS Newsletter. Over the years there's been articles on classic Nep hybrids and so forth. Also, talking to other growers helps too. If I can answer any questions, I'm glad to help.

Trent

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123