User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What makes my Hamata's lids close?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (I'm just full of questions this weekend!-sorry folks![img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] )

I have noticed that the pitcher lids on my N. hamata seedling started closing at night when I make it cold (I run a vent from the A/C to bring the temps down in the highland tank). What could be causing this? Should I not be making this plant experience the cooler nights? I can put it in a regular lowland terrarium.

I assumed it needed a temp drop at night like the lowii and fusca are supposed to so I rigged up the following contraption (a dryer vent to go from the window A/C unit to the top of the terrarium).

Other specs of the highland enclosure are:
    110 Watt compact flourescent reef lighting (Red Sea Phazer IV)
    Humidity 80%-100% (depedning upon the ultrasonic fogger being on or off)
    Lots of air circulation above and below the plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably the cold dry air coming from the ac unit.
    Hamata are not lowland plants but they do like fairly high humidity to pitcher well. The plant will do fine with less humidity but the pitchers are sensitive to humidity drops and they will not pitcher well unless the humidity remains fairly high. What temperature does the tank drop too at night without the ac unit?

Perhaps you can pipe the ultrasonic humidifier into the ac line before it hits the tank?

Tony

Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The enclosure temps without the AC drop from 80-85* during the day to only about 75* at night.

I do have the humidifiers output sitting right next to the A./C output but only occasionally run them in tandem because the humidifier ends up making the leaves wet. is this OK? I don't want to get fungus, rot or leaf burn from the leaves being wet every day when the light comes on. Or, is that what I should have? (wet leaves every morning?)
    Yes, I could put the humidifiers hose into the vent if being wet is OK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess ideally what you would like is to have the ultrasonic humidifier bring the humidity in the cold AC air back to around 70%. Wet plants from a humidifier running is probably asking for trouble with disease. If the plants are soaking wet from the ultrasonic running then I guess it is set too high. Perhaps find a way to lessen the amount of moisture it puts into the tank in conjunction with the AC feed?
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems N. hamata is very fussy when environmental conditions do change. I would expect your plant from mail order loosing all its pitchers so don't be disappointed when this happens. As long as the growth point continues to grow the plant will be OK. Pitchers propably won't form on the first new leaf but the following ones should do. I know it doesn't help you but my N. hamata also did loose all its pitchers in two weeks time after I got it by mail and now I'm already waiting for two months to see new ones form...

Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joachim, can you describe to me your setup that your Hamata is growing in? You are in Sweden right?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I'm living in Munich/Germany (about 50 miles away from Martin). The N. hamata grows together with all of my other Nepenthes in a terrarium which you can see at my ********** page. At the bootom are about 4 to 5 cm of water and the pots are standing on a grid above the water. A nice feature is that I can flush the pots every time I water them. I don't use any humidifier as they are not needed for growing nepenthes. They might look cool but the plants do get too soft and are prone for disease. Humidity level is about 80% but fluctuates over the day.

The N. hamata sits in a shadier position and is still adjusting to its new conditions at the moment so I can't tell too much.

Joachim

That's how my terrariums are set up (with lighting grid set on PVC pipes to allow space below so water can drain out of the pots) and cause humidity. However I was under the impression that Fusca, Lowii and Hamtas needed cooler nights so I rigged up the airduct and humidifier thing to bring the temps down to around 65*F/18*C at night. If I have the humidity high enough would I not need these lower night temps?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast