Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Silver things in my highland tank soil

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swords, I think you and I have the same thing.

And their size is nowhere close to a silverfish. They are TINY... about the size of this hyphen ---> -

Probably not that long either. And they run/scurry along the soil if you disturb the pot. I just worry they are root eaters or something. Oh...and they dont hop...just run.

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not all springtails have a springy tail! most do, but there are still plenty that run and don't jump. Without a better description than tiny and shiny, I still think that they are probably springtails.
    Trust me, I'm an entomologist!

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree with vic. i think they are a 'springless' springtail. i have been interrested in bugs for years and have encountered springtails that dont jump on several occasions. they are even in a mini bog pot i have. i wouldnt worry about them. youll probly see them more often at nightnrunning around in the soil.

-josh
    through understanding of our differences, we will find respect for one another. we are all flesh and blood. i am not affraid to speak my mind. no matter the consequences, stay true to yourself. through the humble eyes of a child, we will realize true equality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey vic

what do you think about the possibility of what they have as being thrips??

-josh
    through understanding of our differences, we will find respect for one another. we are all flesh and blood. i am not affraid to speak my mind. no matter the consequences, stay true to yourself. through the humble eyes of a child, we will realize true equality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thrips don't scurry as far as I know, I have some on a few of my plants. They're woolly and pretty sedate, they just kind of sit there, immobile for long periods while they suck the life juices out of your poor plants.

Troy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nep G, my highland tank is just pots of plants I had to tear down my sphagnum bog cos it started smelling real bad as the weather got hotter this summer.

Vic, I guess I can't see these things any better to give a fuller description other than "tiny and shiny"! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Suzanne your "hyphen" size comparison is right so maybe we do have the same critters.

So long as they aren't harmful to my expensive plants I guess I won't freak out too much. but maybe I will get one of those yellow sticky pads anyway. Shouldn't carnivorous plants be eating these bugs? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only other tiny critter that I can think of that might fit the description (just) are thrips and these can damage plants. However they are not soil dwelling, so don't worry.
    If I lived in the USA instead of England I would ask you to post me some, preferably dead in alcohol. But there are really strict rules about doing things like this, so it's not worth the expense and bother.
    A trip to you local high school/ college/ university should provide someone with enough expertise to ID these bugs, you only need to know which order they are in, not which species.
    If they are not causing any obvious damage symptoms, I'd just let them be, they are just a natural componant of your soil, feeding I suspect, on microbes and fungi, and doing more good than harm. In their natural habitat, Nepenthes coexist with thousands of different soil dwelling creatures quite happily.

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi suzanne... If I recall correctly (i have young person's alzheimers), I suggested that the white things where fruit fly gnats last time you posted about this. If you have a closed terrarium, you should see little fruit flies occasionally pop up if that is what they indeed are. They look like tiny white specks that crawl around in the soil. I try to smush them with my finger, but they are too small. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]. They can disturb the roots of your plants if there are tons, but I haven't noticed too much ill effect on the plant that I have that has some. I just seperated it from the other plants so it wouldn't spread, and the plant seems quite happy catching the adult fruit flies..

Hope that helps!

pat

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast