What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Silver things in my highland tank soil

Ok Josh. I would do what Joachim suggests. Your pitchers will just become neutral after you submerge the plants.
smile.gif
You'll just have to wait for another pitcher to form afterwards.
smile.gif
Also just for curiosity what Neps are infested?

The bugs don't seem to pay any attention to the plants, just the soil. It's just my hamata and cephalotus which have these creepy crawlies in the substrate.

Well, maybe I won't submerge them totally then, just the pots cos these buggers grow slow enough as it is!
biggrin.gif

Have any drosera or pinguicula? I am sure they would love those as a snack.
smile.gif

Unfortunately my pings and drosera are all new arrivals as well so they don't have any dew!
sad.gif

Oh darn beter luck next time!
tounge.gif
I guess you'll have to soak your pots. I would try to repot. UNLESS, you don't want to do that.
wink.gif
The reason I would repot is because, if you soak it they may come back from eggs left in the soil. So MY suggestion is to repot it.

I think only pests which damage the plants either directly or indirectly should be of concern. Treatment to eradicate every living bug is likely to cause more stress and harm to the plants than any benign critters.
T

I took a chance and drove to a large Linders greenhouse about 60 miles away and they had some Cape Sundews (with dew) so I bought a few of them hopeflly they will snatch up some of these guys.

i had the same problem with my terrarium, one of my ventrosicas died to it, they are the inside and ate the leaves of my adelae

and my raff wouldnt picther just make leaves, what i did was just throw the ven and adleae out and the raff is growing huge now

that was my last experience with terrariums, my plants do fine outside

If the bugs are only on the surface, there is no ill effects of spraying nepenthes with pyrethrins which has chrysanthemum in it. If they are soil borne, you might try using "Orthene" according to directions. It is a systemic and will kill soil bugs as well as most anything residing on leaves. You can spray it on the leaves and then pour through the pot. It is a systemic insecticide, so the plants pull it up through their roots also and kill bugs if they eat on the plant. Remember however, do not drink the liquid that forms in your traps as it will also have some residual poison in it.

CU52

They're gone!

I didn't do anything but increase air circulation and the bugs are gone.

hmm. Maybe because of the two utrics I put in there?

anyway, nomore fast running silver flies. whew!
smile.gif

I've tried to give up that bug laden pitcher juice... it's a hard habit to kick tho...
wink.gif

Back