What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Plant: N. maxima

Hi folks,
Today I spent a lot of money (&#3650) on a N. maxima from the orchid shop (I know it's too much compared to ordering from online). It is a cutting which is about a 2-3 feet long vine but none of the leaves have pitchers. To fit it into my terrraium I'll have to do some cutting and my plan is to cut it way back to only 1-2 leaves and make the rest of the vines into 1 and 2 node cuttings.

My question is will it do OK in my Intermediate/lowland terrarium? and is there anything special I need to do for it? I have books that list N. maxima but nothing beats hearing first hand advice from sucessfull growers through forums like this one!

I am surprised it doesn't have pitchers being that it was growing in a greenhouse but since mine pitcher well in the terrarrium I figured this would too after a while...

Josh-

I avoided maxima for the longest time because everything I seemed to read emphasized highland. I gave in eventually and now have about 5 different forms, all growing in lowland conditions. They do fine for me. Each has grown very fast and produces pitchers on every leaf. I would get the plant acclimated to its new home before taking cuttings.

Oz

That's the problem I can't fit it into it's new quarters at the moment without laying it on it's side. The tank is 20" high and the plant is 34" long. I realize cutting it down will make it take much longer to adapt but I suppose that's a price I'll have to pay.

5 varieties? This one is sort of reddish/plumb colored when the pitchers form. The show/propagation nepenthes in the retail greenhouse had pitchers but these cuttings for sale did not.

You paid 50&#36 for a N. maxima
confused.gif

Oh...

N. maxima is one of the easiest N. species to grow. It can tolerate a wide temperature range and also relativly low humidity.
It pitchers easily...

happy growing
Martin

You can make cuttings at any point. They should do fine in your intermediate/lowland terrarium.
Tony

I know &#3650 is a #### of a lot compared to what i could get the N. maxima for online but that's how it is with Orchids Limited (in Plymouth MN) you pay through the nose for anything!
They're asking a left arm for the large truncata....
:cool:

I intend to do most of my future CPing online but of course I'm as much an impulse buyer as anyone else so I "had to have it", you know how it is! Buy it then come hme and find it online for &#3612 or something! hehe!

I buy expensive stuff just kuz i'm a snob... Jewlery store... Burks over anything else, even tho they charge a gazillion more than anything else... Parasuco, Diesel, Guess, Armani and Replay over Levi's, Wrangler, and Cherokee, kuz i'm a snobby clotthes person!!!

Buying on impulse, IMHO, is the only way... Think of what you wouldnt own without it!!! I dont even have room for any more plants and I STILL buy on impulse!!! Its horrid, but toooooo bad!

heh, my plants and pets have better than me! I wear rags while my fish swim around in gold rimed fishtanks and eat premium foods while I eat hungry man TV dinners! :cool:

Back