What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes truncata...

Soley out of curiosity, how do the N. truncatas from PFT colour up?

Thanks you!!!

Truncata's usually have a fluted red peristome and large squarish red to purple to even blackish splotches in the throat in the pitcher. Leafs are typically green to light green but in the highland form they are reddish.

truncata, truncata, WHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!TELL ME WHERE! I HAVE TO GET ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol
tounge.gif

Well. I know what truncatas look like... I've seen striped peristomes (or maybe that was a diff plant... maybe nto tho! heh...), solid red, then theres the black variety rampuppy showed us... I was just wondering what this particular clone looked like...

No idea. You'd have to ask Phil. BTW, many clones of truncata usually are pretty much the same.

I know the pitchers on mine have peristomes that start out green with some red stripes, turning to a dark orange striped with red over time. The top of the pitchers and the wings tend to develop a little bit of red, but for the most part, stays green. The only other reds on the plant are on the growth point, and petioles in bright light.

Just curious, when will the pitchers start developing their characteristic shape? The pitchers it is putting out now, about 3" looks nothing like pics of large mature truncatas.
confused.gif

The pitchers are still Polymorphic, they shoudl morph into mature ones soon enough. Truncata will make huge pitchers in a very short tiem but it isn't the fastest grower, so better since it takes longer to grow but in that tiem it make be making a larger nearer mature looking pitcher.

Cool, I can't wait. What exactly is "polymorhphic". Is N. x Judith Finn also polymorphic? It pitchers don't look like some of the pics I've seen.

Polymorphic simpyl means the pitchers are not mature looking or well.....mature!
smile.gif
J.F. has to be quite older to make mature pitchers.

I admit, this truncata is not from pet flytrap but here's how a plain lowland green one from the orchid shop colored up after groiwng under 240 watts of flourescent light

whole plant
ntrunc10-02.jpg

pitcher:
ntruncp10-02.jpg

I'm anxious to get hold of a few highland red varieties cos Rob has some really amazing looking highland truncatas on his site from bright red to almost pitch black!
wow.gif

Parasco,
Here's what a Petflytrap Truncata looks like:
N_Truncata%20plant.JPG

N_Truncata.JPG

Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

very kool pics of the plants. when i have time i will post a pic of the one i just got today. which i am very happy in deed due to the size.

Looks like it has two offshoots. Pretty rare in a truncata, I'd say
smile.gif

nathaniel, you got a really good eye there yes it does have 2 offshoots. just going to wait a long time before i split them up. still to small to do anything with them.

My truncata sat like a lump for a long time after I acquired it. It finally started growing but verrry slowly. It also has produced a basal shoot with little pitchers in spite of its small size. I was shocked about a week ago to find its thrown a nearly 5" pitcher! It just appeared out of nowhere! I expected it to gradually produce larger pitchers so this slow grower has produced the largest pitcher than any of my other neps. However, my raff is still the winner in my opinion with its many many red speckled pitchers. I am hoping my bical and ampullaria will do as well.

Suzanne

Back