What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smaller n. species for a terrarium?

What are some of the smallest Nepenthes species that would make great terrarium plants. i have a ten gallon tank.

thnx,
Jason

A few species which will do well for a while in a 10 Gal will be N. ampullaria & N. gracilis and on the harder to find and expensive end would be N. campanulata. But these will all outgrow a ten gallon pretty quickly.

There are highland plants which stay sort of small such as N. inermis and N. dubia (see recent post from Andreas), N. adnata & N. aristolochides but these require cool nights between 50-60*F, very high humidity , flowing air and bright lighting which is daunting when youre first starting out And all of it is a lot of work for a small tank with only two or three plants in it.

A 55 or 75 gallon tank would be better and give you an opportunity of more plant species to choose from and more time to grow them before they must be pruned back.

thank you swords, i think that i'll use some smaller carnivorous plant of other species for my ten gallon tank then. i kind of figure that it would not work out already, but just wanted to be sure. Probably some Drosera, one or two butterworst, a Heliamphora, and maybe a Dionaea.

thnx,
Jason

Jason,
That's how I have mine set up....The smaller tanks (two 10 and a 20) have my drosera, pings, utric (just one terrestrial ),seedling sarrs and seedling VFT's. The neps are in my 75 gallon tank.
Even in the 75 gallon tank, I've already had to prune my N. Gracillis, and it's only been 8 months! 'Cource now I have TWO of them after I rooted the cutting. Silver lining, I guess.
biggrin.gif

I don't think campanulata will outgrow a 10 gallon that easily. The link the above post provided will be more revealing, but another primo would be N. adnata.

Regards,

Joe

NNNNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Don't get gracilis!!!!! mine is already bumping the top of my 29 gallon tank!!! get ventrincosa, ampularia, small ones that don't climb, but scramble!
biggrin.gif

N. ventricosa will most certainly climb if you let it, I have one that is 3' tall.

Glabrata is supposed to be another good small Nep but it is a bit picky. I have a faizaliana that seems to be growing rather compact (but I have not had it for a full year yet so who knows what it will do this summer.)

thank you all for your contributions, i'll do a little research on the species that are listed. by the way, the tank has the shape of a ten gallon but it is 18" tall (so it is really a 20 gallon tank).
wow.gif
wow.gif
wow.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

thnx,
Jason

Here are some more suggestions for plants which don't grow into monster sized beasts.

N. bellii is a cute plant for a lowland terrarium. N. distillatoria is also a fairly compact plant but is a true stickler for lowland conditions.

For highland I would consider N. ramispina which at least for me have stayed compact so far. Or perhaps N. tentaculata which will tend to vine but can be cut back readily.

Tony

Back