Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anybody grow N.Mirabilis?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Hi,
    Anyone grow this? I have looked on the internet, and I only find sketchy growing instructions like "keep the soil wet." Does that mean tray method, or frequent watering?
    "full to partial diffused sun" : Direct sun bad?
    Oh...here's a goody: "keep humid." Okaaaaaaayyy....HOW humid?
    Any help is much appreciated. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    Also, if anyone has a link to some DETAILED instructions, that would be cool too.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many people grow this species, and there are many different varieties of it. However,
    to the best of my knowledge, virtually all of them prefer very wet conditions. My plants
    are actually in trays of water.

Some varieties have very thin leaves, and these are more prone to burning, and more
    sensitive to fluctuations in humidity, than their thick-leaved counterparts. Suggest that
    you experiment a bit and see what happens. If you're careful, no real damage should be
    done. Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't grow mirabilis but I have seen quite a bit and what I've seen tallies with Neps comment above. I have only ever seen mirabilis growing in swamps, very close to the edge of the water and occasionally even in the water.

The only other Nepenthes I have seen that enjoyed the same conditions were raff and gracilis. Raff almost always seems to like the wet too but gracilis can take just about anything.

Lots of sun, lots of warmth.

Cheers, Troy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humidity and water are the most important conditions with the mirabilis I grow. Mine seem to prefer a more shaded growing area, and do best when their pots are standing in water. One variety I grow has extremely thin leaves, which the species is noted for. This variety gets a more humid growing area in my shadehouse. I have no special way of measuring the humidity my plants are exposed to...I just know where I have growing space that is more humid, so that's where they go. This species is vigorous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not exactly HELP per se, but I have N. mirabilis cutting that is. Um, alright, and I will be recieving a N. mirabilis "winged"... Thats cool...

Grow your plant as humid as you can, and you wont go wrong. If you acclimate it slowly then you can see its humidity tolerance threshold... Thats not a real phrase, i just made it up. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] hehe...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    humidity tolerance threshold... Thats not a real phrase, i just made it up. hehe...[/QUOTE]

What... a bit like "non-sesile thinking"?

You crack me up Greg!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

I once grew a N. Miribilis; then it died. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] As gr8oz said water and humidity are important which is true. Everytime I brought the plant outside to feed ants to it, it would wilt becasue of no humidity presence. But to me the plant grew pretty quickly; developing good pitchers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Excellent! Thanks for your input! I will let you all know how it goes (might be a while before I can really tell, but [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] ) .
    -Dave
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

9. Similar Threads

1. mirabilis
      By rbjong in forum Tropical Pitcher Plants  (Nepenthes)
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 04-25-2006, 05:58 AM
    2. Nepenthes mirabilis
      By THUNDERSTORM in forum Tropical Pitcher Plants  (Nepenthes)
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: 02-12-2006, 06:31 AM
    3. N. mirabilis var........
      By nepenthes gracilis in forum Identify That Plant!
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 07-29-2004, 05:32 AM
    4. N. mirabilis
      By AaronJ in forum Tropical Pitcher Plants  (Nepenthes)
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 05-17-2004, 05:58 PM
    5. Mirabilis
      By Parasuco in forum Tropical Pitcher Plants  (Nepenthes)
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 04-20-2002, 06:49 PM