What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HIghlands / Ultra-Highlands

I also have one more question: should the fan (A) blow the air in from the outside, or (B) draw in from the inside?

A:  fan(blows towards tank)- I (tank) I(pads)
                                          I

B: I     (tank wall)  I (pads)  I (fan drawing air in)
    I

I think this is a little hard to understand, but I hope you get it...
confused.gif
wink.gif
Also, to make a fan draw air in, wouldn't you just place it the opposite direction of making it blow out? Thanks again!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

I think it would be a good idea to have the fan blowing into the tank. If the fan is pulling air through a wet wash cloth then you can expect some of that water will get into/on the fan and possibly ruin the it.

Mike
smile.gif

Not sure I quite follow everything here.. but from fan function, fans pull better than they push. SO if you have a restriction somewhere then the fan needs to pull the air through it rather than trying to push the air thru it.

Tony

Okay, thanks for the suggestions, but with it currently 50/50, I dunno what to do... *bangs head on keyboard* fdgt5hjhhujynrgft
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Ok, I have a couple more questions:

1) Would it be okay to attach the cloth to the top of the tank, and have the fan blow it downward, or

2) Does the fan have to be near a ventilation source to produce the cooling effect, or could I just set this up as is, with no vent, and expect the same cooling effect, or

3) Could I Set this up on top of the tank and have it blow into a tube that feeds into the tank?

Thanks a million!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

I have a catalog(the name escapes me but you can order a catalog from their site and it comes quick)that has a lot of farm/agriculture equipment in it. It has a portable evaporative cooler in there, but I want to say it's $500. Maybe that would be good enough for a 8' x 10' chamber?

Thanks for the info, but currently, my chamber isn't that big...
Maybe someday...
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Just so you know more details:
27 gal. tank
7 neps and one Ceph
With 4 frozen water bottles, it goes down to 54*F at night
That's all, sorry if I seem obnoxious... <bump>
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif
wow.gif
tounge.gif
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif
wink.gif

*bump* ok, I don't have anything to say, except to list my updated nep list as of two days ago:

HIGHLAND:
N. rajah
N. ventricosa
N. hamata*
N. maxima*
N. alata Cameron Highlands*
N. x 'Judith Finn'

LOWLAND:
N. rafflesiana
N. x 'coccinea'

*= New plant. That's all in the nep department, but there's plenty more!
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif

wow.gif

Sorry about that last post, it was the beginning of my internet going down, so I couldn't click BACK, or exit since this is a modifiable page or something weird the computer said. Anyways, speaking of computers, I bought the computer fan, and built my mini evaporative cooler. It seems to be extremely effective, because it cooled my tank to around 58*F last night!
biggrin.gif
And today I perfected the design, so I expect that it will end up cooling just as well as frozen water bottles, which cool to about 55*F. So, Rampuppy, c'mon, catch highland fever!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Ok....after reading all this stuff (well...I must admit....I just skimmed some....), I have one stupid question:

Would it work to use the tropicaire humidity system (the one they sell here at PFT) filled with refrigerated water? I mean use cold water in the humidifier to send out cool mist to cool down the grow chamber?

Only drawback is you would have to fill it every night....
confused.gif

Sounds feasable for some more intermediate or easy highland plants, especially if you add a little bit of ice...
confused.gif
Good luck with your idea, and if it doesn't work, contact me, and I'll give you the design, the whole cooling setup was only about $25!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Back