What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. jacquelineae

I just recently received a N. jacquelineae and I was wondering how anyone elses is doing? Mine has just arrived a month ago so I don't expect much for a while but I've heard a few others have been released here and there before I scored mine and I was wondering how they have been reacting, in cultivation.
Any images anyone?
Did your plant seem to take a long time to settle in?
How large does the plant need to be before the strange pitcher/peristome shape begins to form? I see by the description that it is a rather small plant (maybe Fatboy can fill me in here
wink.gif
)
Mine is only about 2.5 cm across at the moment!

Hi Josh:

Where did you get yours??. I know Wistuba is releasing them in september. What is your source???

AGustin

My source was by luck from a well known US mailorder guy who knew I was hunting for it. I won't name him publicly cos he doesn't have them listed on his site so I don't know if he has anymore available.

I don't know where mine came from but the July arrival date of the plants makes me think it could be originally from Borneo Exotics.
Borneo, is this from you? Did you put a few N. jacq plants out in june/july to the USA? How're you growing these? I believe once you showed us a com pot of a bunch of baby jacqelineaes in your nursery, how're they doing nowadays? Any secrets to know with this one? Growth rates?

inquiring minds want to know!
wink.gif

swords,

I have been growing the species for a bit and it appears to be a slow but steady grower to this point. Started at around 2.5 cm and has more than doubled in the last 6 months. The pitchers are still small and immature so I cannot help with the
pitcher/peristome shape question.

cheers

Hi Josh,

You rascal! You know I'm still lurking from time-to-time and can't resist a provocative posting!
tounge.gif

No secrets about N. jacquelineae, it's quite easy to grow actually but not lightning fast. Pitcher characteristics appear at a very young age. Probably about 3" diameter or even less. I don't know where your plant originated from for sure but if the pitcher is not characteristic I would be most interested to see a photo. Hybrids with N. izumiae promise to be spectacular.

I'm at the highland nursery right now and will try to get some photos if possible.

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks Rob,

Unfortunately my plant has only 3 tiny sliver like leaves (long and thin) with a 4th on it's way to unfurling and no pitchers no show. Total it's 1 1/4" across or 3cm (after measuring) so I suppose it'll be a while before I see much activity.

Have you been using the time release fertilizers with N. jacquelineae as you do with some of your others? I'm curious to know how/if they accept fertilizers.

New photos would be awesome!

I haven't noticed any difficulty growing them.  Even 1cm tall pitchers appear to have an expanded peristome on the inside of the pitcher.  Sort of reminds me of N. talangensis at this stage in shape.  I don't have a picture handy right now.  I do have a picture of the hybrid that popped up in this seed grown population.  Potentially 30% or so are hybrid based on my seedlings.

Notice the overall elongation, and constriction in the middle of the pitcher and less than funnel shaped peristome.
njachyb.jpg

Thanks for the photo Tony! I've got my fingers crossed that when it makes a pitcher it won't be a hybrid! Is this the hybrid with N. izumiae that Rob mentioned? Forgive me, but is N. izumiae a quite new species? I don't recall having read about it until now.

Are all current populations of N. jacquelineae in cultivation seed grown due to it's newness or does it simply depend upon each supplier?

N. izumiae is the name for the former species B on page 211 of Nepenthes of Sumatra and Peninsular Malaysia.

The picture I posted is the hybrid Rob is talking about. I will see if I can get a picture of a young N. jacquelineae later.

To my knowledge the only plants in circulation right now are from Borneo Exotics. These would all be seed grown at this stage.
Tony

Thanks Tony, I'll look that plant up (N. species B) tonight then!

You mentioned that roughly 30% appear to be hybrids, is this an inordinately high number? To me it sounds like a lot but I don't have experince dealing with large numbers of the same plants. What would you say is the normal range of hybrids to true species given your experience with seed grown plants?

Back